dark and stringy?

danh

Market
Reaction score
this has only been in my 5g for about 2 months.  its been established for 2 years.  at first i thought it was algae but now i think it may not be.  i think i started accidentally carbon dosing after rinsing my jugs with vinegar.  maybe i didn't get all if the vinegar out.  some of what you see is scraped from the glass but also see some stringy stuff.  all of the coral is terribly upset. ... doing frequent water changes with properly rinsed jugs. 
Tr3x7eo6umre31hikca0r64xfo64dhzgz.jpg
alt="20180313_131838" />

I think you're right. Now I can do something about this!

Did some reading and looks like metro could help. Any other suggestions?

4 day black out did the trick. Spick and span today.

I'm in the middle of another black out. It came back just as bad as before after the last black out. I haven't done a water change in quite a while now, trying to let my NO3 and PO4 rise. I'm still dosing a little bit of Fuel as well...

@jeffmiotke - I might need to take you up on the offer to help me identify exactly what I am dealing with!

Looks like dinos in the pic.  I dealt with them for a few months like a year ago... haven't seen them since.  I literally tried everything out there to no real avail.  I'm not even sure how I really beat it as I threw the kitchen sink at it.  Something worked though as it dissipated completely and hasn't been back.  If I had to guess... I honestly think adding multiple different pod species into the mix is what may have made the difference.  Perhaps it was just dying off on its own but I believe something started eating this stuff in my tank and those were the only new inhabitants.  It kind of makes sense as something in the wild must eat this scourge or it'd be all over the place.  G'luck bud.

dinos can be a real pain.

i STRUGGLED with them early on after I set things up for a new tank. I did everything.. even peroxide treatments to the entire water column. I was desperate and they were taking over. Eventually I had to do 100% water change, swap out all of the live rock, replace the sand bed, and do a black out. Yes, all at once.

I may have to do something like that... I have some zoas that would be hard to keep...

I haven't been able to take Jeff up on his offer to take a closer look and tell me which dinos I have yet... I tried not changing water for over a month. I've never gone more than a week in this tank and I normally do 50%.

It's been looking pretty nasty so I did two 60-70% water changes yesterday and today after scraping everything down really well. I am doing another one tomorrow and then blacking out for at least 3 days.

I’ve heard good reviews on a product called dino x , it’s pretty cheap and has good success. Maybe it’ll work for you too.

3 60-70% water changes last week and Thursday to Monday black out. It;s clean as a can right now. I scraped and sucked up as much as I could get. I hope that does it.

Dan, is that you or an impersonator??? LMAO

Not one but three water changes in less than a week!!!

HAHAH... This is my 5g at work. I've always done lots of water changes in it.

7 days since the black out with one 1g water change last week. There's been a little bit of normal algae on the glass but still no more dinos. Fingers crossed.... The coral is all looking a whole lot happier as well.

Back