Dart pump Leaking

wjake

Market
Reaction score
anyone in here know what to do or how to fix this problem. i have a sequence Dart pump.. the 1.5 inch return is leaking and i cant get it to stop.. its actually where the pvc connects to the pump, (it screws in) i used teflon tape and then screwed it in (i tried it really tight, hand tight, kind of loose, etc) and nothing works, it still leaks, i am pulling my hair out with this one, there are no cracks or any physical damage to the threads etc..:shout:

With such large threads, you'll have better luck with paste, rather than tape. That's what I use on both my darts, and in fact, all my 1.5"+ plumbing, and have had no leaks. I think it's called pipe thread sealant, and comes in a can just like PVC glue (bought mine at ACE). In the short term? Get some towels... Good luck!

is the paste removable?? i mean can you unscrew the pvc if you had to or is it stuck for good?

wjake;70681 wrote: is the paste removable?? i mean can you unscrew the pvc if you had to or is it stuck for good?

Yes it is removable.It comes in plastic tubes as well.You can find it at any of the Big Hardware stores.It is designed for plastic to plastic joints like you are doing.The teflon tape is designed for metal plumbing fittings.

Thanks for the tip on the paste. I have always used the teflon tape and I have had issue with leaks! Rep points for you!

I've had no leaks with tape on a 1.5" pipe, but then I think I used the better part of a roll of tape on it, so this stuff would have been cheaper. I always assumed all the stuff in the cans was permanent. Thanks for the heads up.

the paste works great and you can wipe it off too.

I use the pink tape and that has always worked well. I think it's a jillion times thicker than the white stuff though!

Back