De Lumenbright

skriz

Reaction score
FYI: THe DE version of the lumenbright is out now:

index.asp

yeah they have been out for a few weeks, but hellolights just got them. I cant imagine what kind of numbers these put out seeing how HQI's generally put out a bit more to begin with. However the size for these is redicilously huge! 20"!!!!

Hmm- I'd have to see the numbers before I'm convinced that the DE would do that much better. DE's throw more light because they can be placed closer to the reflector, allowing for a more efficient design. Because the LB's are getting a lot more efficient, I'm not convinced that the DE's will be that much better...

But I can be swayed with numbers.... :)

think about it....a DE will be closer to the reflector...period. And the results with the LB's are staggering! Those two are a match in my book.

But closer to the reflector doesn't necessarily equal better. It's about the efficiency of the reflector. Someone (Lumenbright) actually put the R&D into making reflectors better for SE bulbs, based on the structure of the bulb, which is why the LB's are better - the reflector is simply that much more efficient. Companies have been doing this already with DE's for several years now.

Remember that an SE bulb is the same as a DE bulb, but has the outer envelope; the advantages of a DE comes in reflector design. Now that reflector "technology" has improved so much, SE vs DE might show similar numbers in their specific reflectors.

Again- they might be better- I'd want to see the numbers. To steal a quote from RC: "In God we trust. Everyone else needs to bring numbers" :)

Which is better between the Luminarc3 and the Lumenbrite?I have a Luminarc mini now but was planning on upgrading to the larger size and cant decide between the Larc or Lbrite.

they are comparing apples and oranges really. What you need to decide is if you can properly setup your tank for an LB. They arent for everyone. If you are planning on putting a 250 or a 400 in this thing, its best to have ti set 14-16 inches water to bulb. This will help spread the light of the LB because they have a "spot light" effect. Raising them will distriute it a lil bit better and it'll also help with heat issues. LA's are for people who have a deeper tank to deal with or have height restrictions. They are both great reflectors, just do different things.

glxtrix;133126 wrote: they are comparing apples and oranges really. What you need to decide is if you can properly setup your tank for an LB. They arent for everyone. If you are planning on putting a 250 or a 400 in this thing, its best to have ti set 14-16 inches water to bulb. This will help spread the light of the LB because they have a "spot light" effect. Raising them will distriute it a lil bit better and it'll also help with heat issues. LA's are for people who have a deeper tank to deal with or have height restrictions. They are both great reflectors, just do different things.

Yep :)

I wrote a product review on the SE LB minis. Hopefully it'll help people. I'm sure I left out things, but ask questions and I'll answer.

Well I have a 475 that is 72X54x26tall.I plan on setting up the actual reef/rockwork down the middle of the tank the 72" length.Maybe 2 peninsulas and an island in the middle.I thought either 3 full size Luminars or 3 full Lbrites with 400w SE bulbs w/actinics should be plenty of light.I plan on having them mounted in a canopy with an open top with cables that will go up nto the attic attached to a wench to lift the canopy for feeding/servicing.Just cant decide which of the two to use.

because your tank is 26 tall, and sooo deep, I'd say the LA's would be great for you. You "could" go with the LB's BUT I dont think that it'll get you the full coverage that you might be seeking.

This reflector looks to me like it might be a little less focused than the SE LB reflectors. I want to see some numbers also, but it looks very promising.

I dont think so, should be the exact same thing. It follows the same foot prints as the SE versions. I think these might kick some hard rear in numbers if you have them paired up with the right ballast and bulb.

glxtrix;133519 wrote: I dont think so, should be the exact same thing. It follows the same foot prints as the SE versions. I think these might kick some hard rear in numbers if you have them paired up with the right ballast and bulb.

yeah I don't no I'm just looking at the photo. The reason i am thinking they might be less focus is.
1 They look like they might be lower profile, width to height.
2. Also I'm thinking the closer the source light to this type of reflector the wider the the pattern should be.

Personally I'd like them to be a little less focused. I guess Worth a look around to see what numbers people are coming up with.

I am with Mojo on this one. It is possible the number won't jump much.

Back