Dead Koralia

down and outman

Market
Reaction score
While doing a WC yesterday I noticed one of my K-4"s had stopped. About the same time my arm, which was in the water touched my lights and I got ZAPPED!:ahh:
That's a new one, I thought. I'll pull the PH and clean it out, no biggie. Over to the sink grabbed the vinegar, doused it good, and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Still wouldn't work. Then it dawned on me that it was the shocking culprit. :bash2:

Well there goes 1/3 of my flow. Now what? Grabbed the MJ 600's (with the tips cut off to increase flow) in my saltwater makeup tank and got some flow going on again. Now that will buy me some time to figure out what is next. :confused:

I'd really like to get some kind of wavemaker without spending too much. I've always had good luck with Maxijets and the mod kits. How about Maxijet's wavemaker kit w/ 3 MJ 1200's and eco mods? Or is the Seio controller better as it doesn't cut completely off? Add those to my other K-4 ( as long as it survives) and a modded MJ 600 and I should have all kinds of flow and waves and good stuff going on. :thewave:

Unfortunately, prop powerheads like the modded MJs, old style Koralias, etc, don't do well on wavemakers. You could get the new Koralia Evolutions and put them on wavemakers and you would be set.

if you contact Hydro they will most like replace K4 .At least they did when I contacted them .May want to give it a try?

Vinegar is the resulting culprit in Koralia's. It breaks up the epoxy over the wires on the back side of the motor. Best thing is don't vinegar bath Koralia powerheads. If you do, be prepared to get a shock.

porpoiseaquatics;514148 wrote: Vinegar is the resulting culprit in Koralia's. It breaks up the epoxy over the wires on the back side of the motor. Best thing is don't vinegar bath Koralia powerheads. If you do, be prepared to get a shock.

Where have you heard this? I've given plenty of Koralias vinegar baths and never had an issue.

au01st;514158 wrote: Where have you heard this? I've given plenty of Koralias vinegar baths and never had an issue.

Didn't "hear" it...saw it first hand. Talk to Andyman too. I've seen his units. All of the epoxy on the rear of the motor housing came off on almost every unit he has. A person could reapply epoxy but if you're using vinegar, which is an acid....it'll happen again. There are acid resistant epoxies out there but I highly doubt that any are aquarium safe.

I have an old korila that i lost the magnet to i think it still works can we make a trade?

its a korila nano i dont know if u want that though its kinda noisy when i plug it in out of the water for a sec. Never used it but it was used

I want to get a Koralia evolution and go towards controllable PH anyway. Good excuse to get some. I've run those hard for over 2 years so I got my moneys worth out of them. Although I have 4 - 4 yr old Maxijet 600's, one w/ ecomod, one for phosban and carbon, and two that I cut the tips off to increase the flow for mixing saltwater, that are still kicking butt.

Might try to see if Hydor will replace it anyway. I can always use another PH for something.

It was already gone, probably from the last time I washed it out. Emailed Hydor and got an email right back. Good service. I've had them well past the warranty period of 2 years. He offered to fix it, but I'll spend it on a new Evolution which I can eventually get a wavemaker. Def a shocking experience.

So your going to get the evolution ones. I was thinking about getting that ones that were made to work with the wave maker from marine depot. An one have any experience with those?

Back