dead snail = dead sand??

jaydm93teg

Market
Reaction score
ok i had a huge snail i mean HUGE like biggest one i have seen at least half of my palm size (im a 24 year old male) well this thing was i guess u would say "foot" down on the sand looked like he was just taking a break from everyday activity......he has been that way for 2 days now not moved at all......i notice that the sand under him is all grey....and it was at the front of the tank so i can see like 2 inches worth of the sand bed deep is all grey as well.....i pick him up and pieces of something i guess it was dead snail are just going everywhere in the tank.......and it smelt soooooooooooooo bad......i threw it away but do i need to do anything to the tank?

my sand is whiteish brownish thats why i noticed this problem cause it deff shouldnt be that grey color that was under the dead snail.

I had a huge conch snail die in my tank.. it was about palm size (I'm a 24 year old female :) ) and I didnt ever know it.. Whatever happened to the pieces, I'll never know- but my tank was just fine. That was well over a month ago. The thing hardly moved anyway, so it wasn't unusual for it to not move for a week or 2.. Finally, one day, I was messing with the rocks and had to move him out of the way- the bottom foot thingy just fell off and the shell was empty.

I would think if you were seriously worried, do a water change- those never hurt anyway.

Lee thinks to himself-----had it only been BB, you would have seen it coming--- Yeah its most likely death seeping into your sand. I'd suck that part of sand out. But no more than necessary and try not to kick up the surrounding area too much. Do a WC and go upon your day :)

good deal.......as always thanks everyone, one more thing learned about this hobby.

sadly thats just the life of a snail. They can be doing awesome one day and then the next, not so much.

yeah i have had a few little ones get eating by hermits but this one was so big i didnt know if it had the same effect to my water as maybe a dead anemone or a dead fish would.......

now my next question....do you guys have any DIY siphons or yall just buy one from the LFS?

jaydm93teg;189685 wrote: yeah i have had a few little ones get eating by hermits but this one was so big i didnt know if it had the same effect to my water as maybe a dead anemone or a dead fish would.......

now my next question....do you guys have any DIY siphons or yall just buy one from the LFS?

I would test for ammonia just to be sure, and a water change certainly wouldn't hurt. It really depends on the filtration ability of your system.

As for the siphon, I just use a length of some kind of hose, stick a length of it under water, then put my thumb on the "away" end and pull it out of the tank and into a bucket -- the weight of the gravity pulling the water down will start your siphon. If you don't have an airtight seal the water will go bak in the tank.

Some people start the siphon with their mouths but I don't think that is a very good idea.

haha im used to the mouth thing from my freshwater tanks.......it just really is not fun when u make a mistake doing it with your mouth if you know what i mean.......yuk!!!

i did the water change siphoned out thats sand and it smelled so bad i seriously thought i was going to throw up..........worst smell in this hobby i have experienced so far

Back