Death of a 5 YR Old Refug!

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
As most of you know I have a sump/fuge that I bought from a fellow ARC member last year that was set up for over 5 years. It is chalk full of life; copeds, amphipods, sand stars, tons of different marco algae and lots of bubble algae. I had the intension of adding it to my 160 Cube system once I had rid it of bubble algae but after some closer inspection last night I have another huge issue that I think will be the demise of the long running fuge. Flatworms out the kazoo! I honestly thought it was coraline algae this whole time. Those little suckers don't really move at all, well unless you grab one with tweezers! I could use Flatworm exit but I think with the bubble algae issue I am going to just clean it out and start fresh. I hate to destroy such a long living fuge but I think the efforts would be futile now with the flatworms. I do not want to take any chance of adding something that once had not only bubble algae, but now the dreaded flatworms. Just sucks! I'll be looking for some different macro donations here in the next month or so!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
104796=6489-IMG_7914.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
104796=6489-IMG_7914.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7914.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

if they are the clear flat worms, I've heard that they arent bad. It;s more the red ones you have to worry about. Let me see if I can find some more info on this.

They are red like the Agean Sea! Wish they were clear. That's the way the cookie crumbles!

oh dang, sorry to hear that. Yeah these are the safe ones....

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/clear_flatworm.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/id/clear_flatworm.html</a>

But like you said you dont have those. Sorry man.

No worries...just have to fish out the 3 Emeralds that are in there. (Worthless Bubble Aglae eaters that they are!)

I had some flat worms show up on a giant frog spawn in my tank about 4 months ago and that was the only place I could see them (guess they liked it) took it out and did a coral dip and have not seen them since!

Guess I was lucky!

Mark, I've got the same problem- red flatworms in my fuge. I'm going to try to take it out of the loop and treat it with flatworm exit. I'll let you know how it goes.

rlmblm21;104798 wrote: I've got some chaeto for you. LMK if you want it and I'll bring it to the next meeting.

Barbara..thanks! I'll take you up on your offer!

reef1973;104814 wrote: Sorry to hear that Mark. You got tons of critters in my fuge. Come and get some when you are ready.

Dito Rit...will give me chance to try and get a piece of that supergirl and rainbow monti!

rlmblm21;104821 wrote: Guys use 150% of the recommended dosage. That's what they told me at the LFS where I bought the Flatworm exit. I used 150% in my 20G and it killed them all within 30 minutes. It's been 3-4 days and no sign of a return outbreak.

I treated at night, so I left the Flatworm exit in for about 10 hours before a water change. The next day my corals looked pretty whimpy. I did a 30% water change and everything bounced back within a few hours of the WC. However, I did see a number of dead copepod bodies floating around. I really believe the treatment may have killed some of my pods, but altogether the treatment worked and nothing died (except those nasty flatworms).

Thanks for the advice, Barbara. I think I'll use a slightly lower dose in an effort to save some of my copepods. Luckily I don't have much else in my 'fuge!

I've had flat worms in my fuge for years never seen them in my display though. From what I've read they are not parasitic and don't seem to like lots of flow. The chemicals your using to kill them are a lot worse for your tank than they are. Try bumping up your flow if they bother you.

Do they add any benefit? Some people have aiptasia in their fuge systems on purpose and somehow have methods of keeping them out of their tanks.

You have to be careful with flatworm exit. I was discussing it with a colleague who did his Ph.D. dissertation on flatworms (described a few new species as well), he said that many contain toxic compounds within their tissues, which are released when they're killed. So a heavy flatworm population that's suddenly wiped out by flatworm exit can release large amounts of toxins simultaneously... something to consider if you're planning on using it in a fuge/display.

this is true, which is why its also reccommended to syphon out the flat worms as you see them. Guess that helps keep the toxin levels down...Ive never done it, but thats what I heard.

Just more justification to scrap the fuge and start all over. Thanks for all the input.

Free to anyone that wants it:
Macro full of life, flatworms and bubble algae gallore!

I would try a regiment of Salifert Flatworm Exit. Given the numbers I would try half a dose, water change, run carbon, then a full dose a few days later. That stuff works wonders and it hasn't hurt any of my other critters so far.

Back