death to majonos

jt955

Market
Reaction score
hey guys new here, i have 2 55 gallons one of which is one i set up so that i could tear my other down due to a massive majono infestation. i have already started tearing it down while saving what i can. i have tried everything to kill the buggers, but i kill 50 one day the next there is 100 more. just looking for any ideas due to the fact that this has turned into a huge "pita" any help would be appreciated.

thanks J.T.

by the way how do yall get your tank pics so clear and good looking?

majano002.jpg
alt="" />

majano003.jpg
alt="" />

There's no reef safe predator that will do the job for you. Unfortunately you just have to be diligent and kill them when you see em...

We ended up changing out all of the rock in Chris's (mojo) tank partly due to a similar mojano situation. We left the old rock to dry out and kill them off. Unfortunately that was the only thing that would work for us; no matter what we tried if we gave it a week they would all be back.

yeah i am just taking a rock out of one tank then scalding it in the sink to kill the majanos letting it dry then putting it in the other tank. and trying to clean off my corals so i can swap them.

Aiptasia X by Red Sea. We'd tried everything else- Joe's Juice, Kalkwasser paste... they just kept popping back up and I'm sure we could hear a faint, "Neener neener neener" in the background.

Finally tried Aiptasia X - it works. Works better than lemon juice, boiling water... or any other commercial product, and I've tried many.

Jenn

i tried i am down to feeding every third day and a weekly 10 gallon water change, friggin super majanos

They won't starve - that's the problem. The boogers can seemingly live in the dark too - that's why they are a scourge - they are practically immortal!

Jenn

Joes Juice has worked for me. You will have to nuke the returners as you see them. *******s!!!

I have never been very successful killing them, and I have tried kalk paste and lemon juice. AptasiaX might be a good choice.

Now for aptasia, the kalk past does seem to be their version of a nuclear catastrophe.

Oh god -- that second picture looks like something out of a reef tank horror movie. It's hard to believe that a tank couid really have that many majanos.

The way I got rid of mine was to let them "walk" onto something removable.

If you cover them with a shell they will move closer to the light, so they will climb up onto the shell.

Then it's a simple matter to remove the shell with the majano on it and you're done!

I remember covering one with kalk and then coming back the next day to find the majano gone, and I wasn't sure if it melted or just got up and walked away, so ever since then I just use the "cover and remove" method if I see any (which fortunately I haven't since the first 3 or 4)

One technique you might try is to capitalize on their tendency to move to the light is to turn the lights off in the tank, then get a spotlight and shine it on some type of a dinner plate object, and maybe they will move to get closer to the light and get onto the easily removable object where you can just scrape them off. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try to see how much they will help you.

It would be worth it to find how the system got so many extra nutrients to fuel the growth of all those extra majanos -- you might need to get another skimmer or grow more macro or something just so you don't end up with a similar problem in the new tank if it's set up the same way the "majano farm" was.

Peppermints won't eat Majanos, but they will eat Aiptasia.

I found that with Joe's Juice they were able to expel their gametes and spawn before they died, so we'd get a new crop of babies within a week. With the Aiptasia X (works on Aiptasia AND Majanos) it's thicker and covers them so the gametes don't go anywhere - less "bounce back".

Several kinds of butterfly will eat them - but best done in a Q so your other corals aren't munched too - but if a rock has a coral encrusted on it, you take your chances by putting it in with a butterfly.

We turn off the pumps for 20-30 minutes, nuke 'em with Aiptasia X then turn the pumps back on after the 20-30 mins. Works like a charm.

Jenn

I had success with a racoon butterfly, he ate all he could reach rather quickly... Never had a problem with him touching anything else, I had 2 large RBTA's in the tank as well, never bothered them...

I was starting to have a few Aiptasia show up in my tank. I bought a Copperbanded Butterfly yesterday at Macon Pets.($20). Within 30 minutes of being put into the tank it was munching on them. I only have one SPS so it will be on the menu soon I'm sure, but I'm not a big hard coral guy anyway! Macon Pets has a few more of them and their tanks are looking pretty good, not a huge selection, but its only 10 miles from my house!

The SPS may not be bothered - most Copperbands behave fine in a reef. The occasional individual doesn't - but keep him fed once the aiptasia are gone and you should be fine.

Jenn

Soarin thats not a bad idea now we just need a title and a unsuspecting victim.

Jt

jefft;318093 wrote: I was starting to have a few Aiptasia show up in my tank. I bought a Copperbanded Butterfly yesterday at Macon Pets.($20). Within 30 minutes of being put into the tank it was munching on them. I only have one SPS so it will be on the menu soon I'm sure, but I'm not a big hard coral guy anyway! Macon Pets has a few more of them and their tanks are looking pretty good, not a huge selection, but its only 10 miles from my house!

Yeah, I'd say teh CBB is more likely to eat clams and fleshy LPS/softies than sps. But Not sure.

peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp will DEFINETLY eat your majano's,throw like 8 of them in your tank,and let them go to work.

Back