Decisions, decisions?

gixxer600

Market
Reaction score
I am setting up a new tank after a short break. Just a small nano and I am thinking I might want to go black sand this time. I have always used fiji pink and have liked it but just thought about something different this time. Was wonder from other people who have used back sand if they liked it long term or if it dulls or soaks up to much light.

I have been considering the same, seems that Seachem has some good stuff. I have heard that a downside is that it does suck up a lot of light, but man is the stuff really great looking when maintained well.

I've used it in my FW tanks and always liked it. I plan on using it in my future FLOWR build. I've seen quite a few tanks with it and it seems to make a lot of corals pop a bit more.

That's what I was thinking with the coral pop especially with leds now. I have been hearing a lot of people vacuuming their sand and this is new to me but this sounds like what you mean when you say take care of your sand.

I have always been told, that when not utilizing a deep sand bed (which IMO, is not a good idea in a display), you should always vacuum your sand. I make it a point to vacuum well enough that I am replacing at least 50% of my sand annually.

IMO black sand looks nice in smaller aquariums, but not as nice in larger tanks.

I think i agree with that as well and since this tank is only 15x15x10 I think it will look pretty good.

Vacuuming sand is not new. Lots of people opt not to do it, but I always have (over 20 years).

Black sand is OK. I do find that lighter sand is a bit more reflective but black is a bit more forgiving of schmutz in it.

Jenn

Yeah I knew it has been around for awhile but I have just never thought about doing it myself. Did not know if It was necessary especially since I have seen so many people say that the back sand collects detritus more and shows up easier.

Consider black sand if you are going to run 18,000-20,000K spectrum. It doesn't look great in anything lower. All the detritus and other color grains appear unsightly in lower spectrums. The black sand color makes corals pop more to the human eye.

Otherwise, if what I stated above is not your intent, I would highly suggest going back to fiji pink because you will siphon that black sand out eventually.

Black sand looks incredible...IF you can keep it clean. Since detritus and muck isn't black, it shows on black sand. As long as you incorporate vacuuming and high flow, you're good to go.

Most black sands that I've seen are very fine and get blown around very easily, just something to consider.

Just regurgitating what others have said. Some black sand has magnetic properties and will stick to a mag float. That can result in scratches on your tank.

Is there a black sand that the people that have run it prefer. I am going to have a AC 20 on the back and was going to see if this would be adequate flow for the tank.

Back