Deep Blue Reef Light problem / question (T5)

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
When I got home today I turned on my Deep Blue (48 inch) four bulb fixture. Two of the four bulbs are flickering. Anyone know what could cause that? The bulbs are only two months old.

They were fine last night and this morning. I had them turned off because I took the rock out last night to catch a lobster and change the substrate and things are still in disaray. I never moved the light so there is no chance I damaged it.

I had a couple of Deep Blue, two bulbs each, one of them has only one bulb working, had to replace the ballast, I call Deep Blue CS and they send me the same ballast, after that I had no use for them and I traded for a skimmer :D

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk

Is it hard to change a ballast? Would it be a ballast if it is two of the four bulbs? They are not next to each other, it's number 1 and 3.

It's not hard if you are a bit of Diyselfer, however if you don't feel comfortable messing with electrical wires and such don't attempt, if it's 4 bulbs I'm pretty sure has two ballast, and the one (s) that are flickering are connected to the same ballast

Try switching bulbs first, before you do anything, it might be a problem with the bulbs or switch too

The bulbs in the unit are Geismann and ATI.

Strangly it did quit eventually. I am still several months away from being able to buy a good set of LEDs so I hope it keeps working.

If problems persist, contact Deep Blue, or the store you bought the fixture from - they should repair or replace if it's still under warranty. It's likely the ballast.

Jenn

I contacted them Jenn and they were not eager to assist since I bout it used. I wasn't asking them for free parts or anything like that, I just wanted their opinion based on the symptom so I could try to figure out the seriousness and cost involved.

My long term goal is to purchase LEDs and I have only managed to save about 25% of the money thus far. Spending money to fix a temp light plus changing bulbs every six months will not help me get there any quicker. I've been pleased with the light overall.

Any LFS that buys from Royal Pet Supplies should be able to order you a ballast.

Thanks Jenn. I haven't noticed it anymore since that one time but it may flicker every time it comes on, since I am usually at work when it does it's hard to know. Just a few days of final exams left and I'll be home to monitor the reef closely for a few weeks!

Back