Deep or shallow sand bed???

kwill

Market
Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the early stages of a 90gal build. I have been doing some research on Deep sand beds. After researching online I was hoping to get some personal accounts from some of you experienced reefers out there with DSB(s). Any feedback any of you can give me will be greatly appreciated. If it help this will be my very first aquarium.

Thanks in advance...:D

How deep is your sandbed?
How long have you had it?
Have you had any issues w/ dsb?
Sorry so many questions.

Pile it on........

DSB is the way to go!

Only lightly vacuum it on occasion.... 3, or 4 inches deep is good, although I've seen as much as 6" in a tall tank.......

In a power outage, oxygen will deplete quicker than in a bare bottom tank or shallow sand bed tank, but the added bacteria factory will make your tank more stable.

I'd like to get some more input on Deep Sand Beds vs Shallow ones. I have 40 lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive sand for my 90 gal. If I go with the recommendations on the back of the package, I'd need 1lb. per gallon of water. How deep would that make my sand bed? Also, do I need to add additional "live sand" or is this like "live rock" which I can seed the additional "dead" sand with the "live" I have?

On an additional note, can I use the live sand to "seed" Dry Rock if I choose to go in that direction?

90galguy;702802 wrote: I'd like to get some more input on Deep Sand Beds vs Shallow ones. I have 40 lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive sand for my 90 gal. If I go with the recommendations on the back of the package, I'd need 1lb. per gallon of water. How deep would that make my sand bed?

You'll need your tank dimensions to determine depth - here's a good calculator

a>

90galguy;702802 wrote: I'd like to get some more input on Deep Sand Beds vs Shallow ones. I have 40 lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive sand for my 90 gal. If I go with the recommendations on the back of the package, I'd need 1lb. per gallon of water. How deep would that make my sand bed? Also, do I need to add additional "live sand" or is this like "live rock" which I can seed the additional "dead" sand with the "live" I have?

On an additional note, can I use the live sand to "seed" Dry Rock if I choose to go in that direction?

You can seed with live sand, however the live sand is not nearly as live as the live rock you would buy. If you are patient, I would suggest buying 60%dead and 40% live sand, and 80% dead rock and 20% live rock. (this will help with cost too:up:)Also, diversity is key. I would maybe pick up rock from different stores, to make sure that you get a vast array of "critters", and maybe even talk to a few members (or LFS) about trading/buying a scoop of sand out of their mature tank. This will help seed the fastest and give you worms and pods in all stages of life. Then it is simply a waiting game to allow them to proliferate.

Shallow . The pros of a DSB do not out weigh the cons IME. There much easier ways to obtain the benefits that a DSB supposedly provides.

I'm going shallow. I've been researching all weekend and agree with Grouper. The pros don't appear to out way the cons, certainly not for the beginner.

Now I'm on to researching Kalk dosing and UV Sterilizers, but that's for another thread.

Deep sand beds went out of style about 6 years ago. Deep sand beds are at least 4-6" in depth.

We use and recommend 3/4" to 1" and vacuum it regularly. Been doing it that way for 25 years and haven't gone wrong with it yet.

Deep Sand beds are fine at first but will be fraught with problems within 2-4 years. Not to mention how ugly they get in time as stuff starts decomposing within them, then there's the risk associated with disturbing those septic tank layers....

2-3" is too deep to be a shallow sand bed and too shallow to "work" like a DSB is supposed to. Better vacuum it well if you keep it that depth or you've got a time bomb waiting to go off.

Jenn

What are the benefits of a deep sand bed. I know many years ago it was the rage, but I was planning to go with a deep sand bed but decided not to. I was still planning on do a deep sand bed for my fuge, what are your thoughts on that?

I have a DSB, mainly for my Goby and shrimp pair, just dont go stirring the bottom half of it around....... the goby and shrimp dig deep into it, one day i dont remember what i was doing, but i was pulling rock work out, and didnt know my goby was burried in the sand under a rock, i moved a rock, saw an eyeball sticking out of the sand thought my goby was dead and got buried, went in to move it, and he jetted out the sand going crazy like a pinball :doh: I think DSB is beneficial but up to a certain point, just get some things that will stir the bed to help it not turn into a endless pit

Gradybaby16;704920 wrote: I have a DSB, mainly for my Goby and shrimp pair, just dont go stirring the bottom half of it around....... the goby and shrimp dig deep into it, one day i dont remember what i was doing, but i was pulling rock work out, and didnt know my goby was burried in the sand under a rock, i moved a rock, saw an eyeball sticking out of the sand thought my goby was dead and got buried, went in to move it, and he jetted out the sand going crazy like a pinball :doh: I think DSB is beneficial but up to a certain point, just get some things that will stir the bed to help it not turn into a endless pit

The key to having a working sand bed is having a few creatures to stir it, slowly, and gently. This will help keep a lot of that poisonous gas at bay. I know it will only be to an extent, but patience is key. The DSB does work, if done properly. Everything in this hobby is different per your application. Some people swear by it, and some detest it. It is all about what you like/want/plan to keep. Pistol/Goby or Jawfish it is a must.

Back