Dehumidifiers

jwils27

Supporting
Reaction score
Well my wife has finally had it with the humidity in the basement. I am looking to get a great dehumidifier one for a large basement. What is everyone using or have had luck with? Thanks!

I was looking at this one on amazon Link

We have a few in the house to combat humidity from the tanks... It just so happens that I have this exact model downstairs and it has been working like a champ without issues for us.

If that dehumidifier really removes 50 pints per day, just realize that you will either need to install a drain hose, a condensate pump or potentially empty it 3+ times/day.
(see 1.8 gal. tank capacity)
Also, be aware that dehumidifiers work much like modified air conditioners and throw out a good bit of heat in the process (eg- increase your AC demand).
They are not very efficient electrically, even the high efficiency/energy star models.
You may get a little surprise when your power bill comes.

One thing I overlooked when buying my last dehumidifier was the ability to empty it. I got a cheap one and ended up drilling a bulkhead through the built-in bucket so it drains directly in to the sump. In my case it worked out but it doesn't look very good (it's in the basement). When shopping for one just make sure to consider how you'll handle the water it produces. Most of them have a hose attachment option so it can gravity feed in to a drain and some have a built in pump similar to the one typically found on an AC unit. The one you liked to does have a drain, just make sure you can place it somewhere it can drain so you don't have to empty the bucket by hand. Before I installed the bulkhead on mine, it would run, fill up, sit for a while and repeat over and over again because I wasn't quick enough to empty it.

Back