Dendrophylia placement

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I know Dendros are non-photosynthetic, but can they be placed in light, or do they need shade? I have mine on the bottom of the tank, but didn't know if some light is good, bad or indifferent for it. I can put it under an overhang if needed.

I just want to have it where it would be the happiest. Thanks.
Dave

I have mine placed slightly under an overhang in my rock work however it was out in the open before. I would save spots in the direct light for the light loving corals. Just make sure wherever you put it it's easy to get to to feed.

light does not effect that coral...I would not blast it with 400w MH one inch below the surface....what IS important is that you have to be able to access it so you can feed it DIRECTLY...every polyp....if you can't get to it, you can't feed it..it will die.

I would start with mysis.....and that would do it....It is just a Sun Coral....

So if you have the time to feed every day (I don't) it will work out fine....keep the snails off of the polyps while it is feeding though. That's what did mine in...they *******s stole the mysis right out of the polyps.

i just got a small one today with maybe 5-6 heads, the guy i got it and my mantis from said he fed both weekly.

washowi;215962 wrote: I would start with mysis.....and that would do it....It is just a Sun Coral....

So if you have the time to feed every day (I don't) it will work out fine....keep the snails off of the polyps while it is feeding though. That's what did mine in...they *******s stole the mysis right out of the polyps.

I was thinking they needed fed twice weekly. Is this not enough?

I am getting tiny little babies on the sides on my polyps. Should I feed these, or do they get nourishment off the parent polyp for a while?
Dave

<span style="color: black;">I have mine under an overhang, just in the shade. They look great under my Duncans... I feed mine a mixture of frozen brine, Cyclopeeze, garlic, vitamin C, and Blood Worms... Seems to be doing fine. I feed about twice a week.</span>

The best place to put a dendro is the easiest spot to reach them. You're going to have to feed them regularly so make sure they're easy to get to. I keep mine in my frag tank right under the strongest part of the light not because they like light... as they don't seem to care... but because its easy to get to em.

Also did anyone pick up a dendro at macna? They were SOOO cheap there. I guess dendros aren't rare anymore...

FutureInterest;216124 wrote: Also did anyone pick up a dendro at macna? They were SOOO cheap there. I guess dendros aren't rare anymore...

I got a nice big pair for $50 at MACNA. I asked they guys how and why they had so many... They said they couldn't explain it either. They almost never get any, but this time they ordered "all they could get" and got more than they needed... Personally I really don't careif they are rare or not, there color was just what I was looking for in my tank.

Yah that's a good deal. I thought you needed a special SITES permit to harvest them which is why they were rare as most that we see are simply aquacultured. I'm glad they may be more abundant now as they are indeed gorgeous lil creatures.

FutureInterest;216228 wrote: Yah that's a good deal. I thought you needed a special SITES permit to harvest them which is why they were rare as most that we see are simply aquacultured. I'm glad they may be more abundant now as they are indeed gorgeous lil creatures.

I saw a lot of dendros posted by online sellers recently as well. Maybe there is a "season" for them and a lot hit the market at a certain time of year, like you see with those tiny clown triggers every year.

I honestly dont feed mine very often at all, and it is growing pretty nicely. I do put a lot of spirulina brine, cyclopeeze, and pe mysis in the column for the anthias and other fish 3+ times daily, so I assume it picks up quite a bit on it s own....ah thus I need a bigger skimmer........

I think placing it somewhere were the flow would hit it and thus bring it some of the fish food would be ideal. The trick is finding the right spot as too much flow seems to upset them so you don't get really good PE.

FYI...at MACNA I had dinner with Eric Bourneman...he said this coral is not rare at all, and in fact is quite common...

go figure....retailers call anything rare to jack up the prices...

Back