designer fish and genetics discussion

jmaneyapanda

Sponsor
Reaction score
KILLJOY ALERT!!!

I realy applaud ORA for the captive breeding effrot, but just so you guys know, these clowns are rather a genetic mess, and may</em> end up with some severe health issues. The original "picasso" clowns were genetic mutations in the coloration that just happened to pop up. They repeat the trait by inbreeding and inbreeding. Like mother to son, and brother to sister, and so on. It is a very undesireable thing to do in terms of biology, but in terms of ORA wallet, it is good, becvause they charge an absurd premium for this "deliverance special". I am all for unique fish and rare livestock, but I cannot support these.

But, I really ahve no business here, because I am not interested in buying them. Sorry for the hijack.:eek:fftopic:

jmaneyapanda;126423 wrote: KILLJOY ALERT!!!

I realy applaud ORA for the captive breeding effrot, but just so you guys know, these clowns are rather a genetic mess, and may</em> end up with some severe health issues. The original "picasso" clowns were genetic mutations in the coloration that just happened to pop up. They repeat the trait by inbreeding and inbreeding. Like mother to son, and brother to sister, and so on. It is a very undesireable thing to do in terms of biology, but in terms of ORA wallet, it is good, becvause they charge an absurd premium for this "deliverance special". I am all for unique fish and rare livestock, but I cannot support these.

But, I really ahve no business here, because I am not interested in buying them. Sorry for the hijack.:eek:fftopic:

<span style="color: black;">I figured this was coming. Stay away! </span>

<span style="color: black;">Na. I actually know about this already but maybe some other members didn't. Another quality post by you as usual.</span>

It is my understanding that they breed with normal clowns and kept dividing out the recessive ones until it became a dominant trait. I am sure at some point they crossed the same line, but I don't know what their base population or how far down the line they went before they did this. I am sure you are sitting on some evidence that they did this early, but it is entirely possible that the selective breeding was done well and these fish other than sharing a similar trait are in other ways genetically healthy. For all I know they are no more inbred than the clowns shipped from other captive breeding facilities or for that matter ones collected for the same reef.

Cameron;126532 wrote: It is my understanding that they breed with normal clowns and kept dividing out the recessive ones until it became a dominant trait. I am sure at some point they crossed the same line, but I don't know what their base population or how far down the line they went before they did this. I am sure you are sitting on some evidence that they did this early, but it is entirely possible that the selective breeding was done well and these fish other than sharing a similar trait are in other ways genetically healthy. For all I know they are no more inbred than the clowns shipped from other captive breeding facilities or for that matter ones collected for the same reef.

Cameron, the type of manipulation you are mentioning isnt possible in the short term- (ie- in ours or our grandkids lifetimes). The science of gentics is pretty straightforwrad when in comes to proliferating recessive or mutated genes. It is not a good thing for viability. Take a look at Siegfreid and Roys white tigers. They once made the huge mistake of claiming they were an endangered species of tiger that needs conservation. Much to their chagrine, they were made the fools and the facts were brought out that in order to proliferate excessive recessive traits and mutations, you have to breed receesives, and the easiest way for capitalist ventures to do this is to breed close generations, ie- direct relatedness. Breeding for recessive traits and mutations is generally not good, because they were selected out in nature over the past 100 million years. For example, a mutation may cause a random clown to have an addityional tail, or a balloon body. But more than likely, the genetic mutation which caused this also caused another defection, and it is not known where. Why try to fix what aint broke? I dont want to get into a whole big genetics lesson, but this topic is valid- one of the big concerns with captive bred bangaii cardinals is that we may sson start seeing some anomolous and concurrently negative mutations, as there is no studbook, or registry, or history for any of the captive bred fish.

As per the comment about inbreeding occurring in nature- it very very very very rarely does. Nature has dealt with this already. It is very rare for monogamous animals to tolerate the presence of another mature animals, particularly if it were showing interest of breeding. Even with humans, how would any of us react if another person were trying to engagae in copulatory behavior with our mates? In communal reproductive society, the likelihood of mixing gametes between related animals is low due to the massive quantitiy of individuals and gametes. But, when all is said and done, in terms of captive bred animals, you are absolutely right Cameron, other clown breeders may very well be doing the same thing, but it is less likely and flagrant, when there is no "fashionista" design to be sold. It is far easier, and far more likely to get two unrelated occelaris for breeding, than it is for anyone to get two unrelated "naked", or "picasso" clowns. And when it boils down to it, they are a biologically inferior animal to others, just look different, and cost a significant amount more.
Please note, I am not specifically targeting ORA, they just happened to fall into my crosshairs with this discussion. There are many other companies which do the same type of procedure to maximize their profit. I only intend to enlighten.

Again I apologize for the hijack. I will start a thread with a link to this where we can comment on this, and not ruffle Tim's feathers.

From here:
showthread.php

jmaneyapanda;126423 wrote: KILLJOY ALERT!!!

Jeremy, I think you have some very valid points, I just wish the points had been made in a separate thread. Perhaps a moderator could move this so more conversation could ensue.

Linda Lee;126607 wrote: Jeremy, I think you have some very valid points, I just wish the points had been made in a separate thread. Perhaps a moderator could move this so more conversation could ensue.
Linda, as I mentuioned in my last post, I started a new thread to continue this discussion. I wont discuss it here naymore out of respct for Tim and his business.

[I've moved all the posts from Keen Reef forum to here -mojo]

jmaneyapanda;126577 wrote: Cameron, the type of manipulation you are mentioning isnt possible in the short term- (ie- in ours or our grandkids lifetimes). The science of gentics is pretty straightforwrad when in comes to proliferating recessive or mutated genes. It is not a good thing for viability. Take a look at Siegfreid and Roys white tigers. They once made the huge mistake of claiming they were an endangered species of tiger that needs conservation. Much to their chagrine, they were made the fools and the facts were brought out that in order to proliferate excessive recessive traits and mutations, you have to breed receesives, and the easiest way for capitalist ventures to do this is to breed close generations, ie- direct relatedness. Breeding for recessive traits and mutations is generally not good, because they were selected out in nature over the past 100 million years. For example, a mutation may cause a random clown to have an addityional tail, or a balloon body. But more than likely, the genetic mutation which caused this also caused another defection, and it is not known where. Why try to fix what aint broke? I dont want to get into a whole big genetics lesson, but this topic is valid- one of the big concerns with captive bred bangaii cardinals is that we may sson start seeing some anomolous and concurrently negative mutations, as there is no studbook, or registry, or history for any of the captive bred fish.

I can agree with some points but genetic mutations are also the base principle of evolution to begin with. Not all mutations are bad and adopting a recessive trait isn't necessarily going to result in a fish with two tails or some other negative consequence.

People have been line breeding animals since we started keeping them for own purposes. There are A LOT of myths about inbreeding and line breeding but most of it is just that... myth. Most problems from inbreeding and line breeding are auto immune which I don't thikn is quite as big a deal in aquaria.

I trust that you know more about the science behind breeding species as I imagine it is part of your job, but some statements I don't think are completely correct. I could be wrong and I am no expert, but I did line breed dogs and was very familiar with the concept in cows on our farm as we bred several distinct lines and were always trying to improve the lines we had.

When you find an animal with a trait you want to exploit, rather than inbreeding immediately which greatly increases your chances of the recessive trait showing but also greatly shrinking the gene pool you breed the animal with other animals outside the family in succession until the trait reappears. Keep doing this over generations and eventually you will get a breeding population. On the farm most people accept 5-10 in distance (1st cousins or better) being safe and this of course can sometimes take a decade or two. You can do them closer, but you often have to "cull the herd" so to speak when you get animals without the traits you want and not as desirable as the other method listed. With fish, I am assuming this is an easier process as they breed more per generation and much quicker. Anyway, you can breed out a small population in most cases. It all depends on the base population. If they started with one, bred it got offspring with the trait that could also mate and started inbreding, I am guessing they have a lot of fish with auto immune problems and issues with fish that are sterile.

Oh and animals inbreed all the time in the wild. Sometimes out of necessity and sometimes out of convinience. There are entire species sustained today thanks to inbreeding.

This is not like breeding dogs or humans. You can have hundreds of fry every couple weeks! I wouldn't htink it would take that long in all honesty to do something like this. Maybe a few years.

Cameron;126728 wrote: I can agree with some points but genetic mutations are also the base principle of evolution to begin with. Not all mutations are bad and adopting a recessive trait isn't necessarily going to result in a fish with two tails or some other negative consequence.

People have been line breeding animals since we started keeping them for own purposes. There are A LOT of myths about inbreeding and line breeding but most of it is just that... myth. Most problems from inbreeding and line breeding are auto immune which I don't thikn is quite as big a deal in aquaria.

I trust that you know more about the science behind breeding species as I imagine it is part of your job, but some statements I don't think are completely correct. I could be wrong and I am no expert, but I did line breed dogs and was very familiar with the concept in cows on our farm as we bred several distinct lines and were always trying to improve the lines we had.

When you find an animal with a trait you want to exploit, rather than inbreeding immediately which greatly increases your chances of the recessive trait showing but also greatly shrinking the gene pool you breed the animal with other animals outside the family in succession until the trait reappears. Keep doing this over generations and eventually you will get a breeding population. On the farm most people accept 5-10 in distance (1st cousins or better) being safe and this of course can sometimes take a decade or two. You can do them closer, but you often have to "cull the herd" so to speak when you get animals without the traits you want and not as desirable as the other method listed. With fish, I am assuming this is an easier process as they breed more per generation and much quicker. Anyway, you can breed out a small population in most cases. It all depends on the base population. If they started with one, bred it got offspring with the trait that could also mate and started inbreding, I am guessing they have a lot of fish with auto immune problems and issues with fish that are sterile.

Oh and animals inbreed all the time in the wild. Sometimes out of necessity and sometimes out of convinience. There are entire species sustained today thanks to inbreeding.

Cameron, you are comparing apples and oranges. You mentioned selective breeding in an established domestic animal, while I am talking about artificial selection and breeding in a wild species. Ina biological sense, the parameters for both of these things are way different.

kwl1763;126756 wrote: This is not like breeding dogs or humans. You can have hundreds of fry every couple weeks! I wouldn't htink it would take that long in all honesty to do something like this. Maybe a few years.

Yeah, you'd think that, but then how come no one has any but ORA? It isnt as simple and easy as it seems.

Sustainable Aquatics is another. Also Rods Reef for those black clowns. Granted, they don't have the Picassos.

It took me many years to breed these rhino clowns. But since I'm selfish, I don't like to share them with the public.

I got you beat. I just need a bigger tank.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
126826=7698-mutantai_smagiai_19.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
126826=7698-mutantai_smagiai_19.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="mutantai_smagiai_19.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Yeah Loren, I know tehre is a lot of breeders out there, but ORA seems to have the market on Picassos or Naked, or whatever else we want to call them. Take a close look at the fish these breeders sell- they look like the wild fish? Ask yourself why. Because they were selected look different, or something out of the control of the breeder?

I remember Victor got some clowns from somewhere about 6 months ago or so, and the one had a hunchback kinked spine. I rest my case.

Jeremy, I respect yah and acknowledge you have an incredible wealth of info on this hobby. You are very proactive when it comes to potential future issues and problems, which is a very good trait/skill to have. Unfortunately as is the norm I disagree with you :).

A single clown with a hunchback is hardly dispositive evidence on the issue. Deformities happen all the time. That's just nature, as Cam said its "evolution" whatever that is! It happens in all creatures including humans. You may not see as many deformed fish in the wild though since their deformity will typically be a hindrance on them surviving to adulthood.

In addition, I don't see how captive breeding can ever be a bad thing. They were lucky enough to have an interesting looking mutation and it makes fiscal sense to continue breeding for that trait. IF a bad trait happens to develop then, it might be possible to breed it out as well. We do that with pedigrees all the time and the concept of genetics here is the same for domesticated and wild animals and hell even fruit flies.

Anyways, even if there is some sort of unquantifiable future risk of some defect, its worth the lessened destruction and pillaging of our wild reefs.

FutureInterest;127005 wrote: Jeremy, I respect yah and acknowledge you have an incredible wealth of info on this hobby. You are very proactive when it comes to potential future issues and problems, which is a very good trait/skill to have. Unfortunately as is the norm I disagree with you :).

A single clown with a hunchback is hardly dispositive evidence on the issue. Deformities happen all the time. That's just nature, as Cam said its "evolution" whatever that is! It happens in all creatures including humans. You may not see as many deformed fish in the wild though since their deformity will typically be a hindrance on them surviving to adulthood.

In addition, I don't see how captive breeding can ever be a bad thing. They were lucky enough to have an interesting looking mutation and it makes fiscal sense to continue breeding for that trait. IF a bad trait happens to develop then, it might be possible to breed it out as well. We do that with pedigrees all the time and the concept of genetics here is the same for domesticated and wild animals and hell even fruit flies.

Anyways, even if there is some sort of unquantifiable future risk of some defect, its worth the lessened destruction and pillaging of our wild reefs.

No, I am being misinterpreted. I applaud ORA and all other captive breeders. I have, and will continue to buy fish from them. However, the issue I have is that there is not ONE hunchback clown that occurs, this IS nature, as you have stated. There is a line of hunchback clowns, that are being specifically sleected for and purposefully bred for. I feel this is unethical in a biological sense, as it is creating a compromised animal for the sole benfit of profit, and it is unethical in a business aspect, because the methods and realities of such products are not disclosed to the consumer.
This topic is long and darwn out. The freshwater hobby has been in broils with this with glass fish injected with fluorescent dyes, and ballon body fish, etc. I know taht you are familiar with Asian culture, goldfish have been selectively bred for thousands of yeras to the point where there are starins now that can barely swim, or are so physically impaired by their "selected" traits, that they are prone to massive health problems. Cultural issues aside, This is where fish like Picasso clowns are leading the marine hobby.
We have already reached this precipice in corlas. How many poeple would pay $10 for a montipora frag, but will pay $110 if I throw the name "Tyree" in front of it? What would be the difference between the two? How can this prestige and name be verified? The greed and profit of the seller/breeder come at the expense of the buyer.

Again, I hope to make my point maybe a little clearer- I am not disputing that genetic mutations and deformities occur, and they very well may be beautiful and beneficial to the individual. However, when such traits are selected for, and are reproduced in the short term (which functionally and economically can only be done with inbreeding in a scale as we are discussing), This is a dubious and questionable tactic. Where is the line drawn? What if ORA could create a clowfish that glows in the dark, but only has half the lifespan- is that ok? Or what if Sustaionable aquatics createds a blue percula, but it it cursed with prevalent kidney failure, is this ok? The general public overall stroongly frowns upon this with higher animals (such as mammals, etc). I cant imagine many people would be happy if they went to get a dog, and they found out it was a offspring of the mother and son, or brother and sister, no matter how good it looks.
At any rate, my only intention was to inform all as to the reality of how such animals are "made" by companies such as ORA. Whether you agree with it, or disagree, I have no investment in it. To each, their own.

I really don't understand why you feel that selective breeding is such a "dubious and questionable tactic" when applied to clownfish. I have to assume you are just as adamant about selective breeding as we apply it to horses, cats, dogs, and all other animals we choose to breed.

Earlier you chose to make a distinction between "wild animals" and "domesticated animals". It seems you are implying that selective breeding with domesticated animals is fine but not with a wild animal... because the parameters are "different". It doesn't seem logical to me for you to make a distinction there. Obviously all animals at one point were "wild". We domesticate them with selective breeding as we breed them for traits that we desire. It's the same with the clownfish, we took wild clownfish and we are breeding them for specific traits we desire. So what if they are "wild" that really doesn't change the nature of what we are trying to accomplish.

Take wolves for example. We have been selectively breeding dogs for various different traits and now look at all the diversity we have. We have hundreds of different types of dog, all of which can serve different needs and different people as workers or guardians or loyal companions. If the world felt the same way as you towards selective breeding then all we would have is wolves :). As such, wouldn't it be neat if in a few hundred years we have a variety of different and interesting clownfish? I'm all for the blue clownfish or glowing one! :yay:

Jin, I could talk for years on this tpoic, because it is my background and profession, but I think itn would bore or irritate everyone to tears.

Here is why we cannot take domestication of animals as a comparable analogy. Domestication of a breed takes a relatively long period. With cats, dogs, livestock, etc etc etc, these animals were not created in the past 2 years from their wild ancestors, they have been selectively bred over many centuries to be what they are today. However, at the beginning of the domestication process, there were numerous and significant drawbacks. Animals that did not fit the mold, animals that wre biologically disfunctional, animals which could not survive. These were lost from the gene pool. Over the past few ecnturies, the "gene pool" has stabilized to create what it is today. That is where there is a BIG difference in what we are talking about. With domestication, the early iosues have come and gone. But many of these problems are still here. For example, we all know certain dog breeds are susceptible to some characteristic ailments (hip dysplasia, blindness, deafness, etc). These are results of inbreeding within the breed, and proliferating negative to promote the positive. And this is the positive aspect of this domestication. You can imagine, in the beginning, there were far more issues.
I am in no way saying that inbreeding is acceptable in any realm. It is a defeating bioloigical principle. It will not sustain species over time, just weaken it to promote extinction.
Artificial sl;ecetion is not a bad thing, provided it is not partnered up with selective breeding, as well. For example, I wish that ORA would just breed genetically distant clowns, and the ones they naturally got to produce misbars (which is a bad example, because it is a another inbreeding telltale), hunchbacks, nakeds, picassos, glow in the darks, whatever, and select those for survival, not breeding. However, once one of those pops uo, ORA gets $$ in their eyes, and pair them up, despite the relatedness, and despite the health consequences that may show up. They will sell, so they breed them. Of course, I have no evidence of this really, I am just connecting the dots, and saying fish that show this type of characteristics are quite commonly extremely inbred.

With my background, it is impossible for me to admit and support any type of inbreeding, as it has no benefit on the species, or individuals as a whole.

Bored yet?

FutureInterest;127203 wrote: I really don't understand why you feel that selective breeding is such a "dubious and questionable tactic" when applied to clownfish. I have to assume you are just as adamant about selective breeding as we apply it to horses, cats, dogs, and all other animals we choose to breed.

Earlier you chose to make a distinction between "wild animals" and "domesticated animals". It seems you are implying that selective breeding with domesticated animals is fine but not with a wild animal... because the parameters are "different". It doesn't seem logical to me for you to make a distinction there. Obviously all animals at one point were "wild". We domesticate them with selective breeding as we breed them for traits that we desire. It's the same with the clownfish, we took wild clownfish and we are breeding them for specific traits we desire. So what if they are "wild" that really doesn't change the nature of what we are trying to accomplish.

Take wolves for example. We have been selectively breeding dogs for various different traits and now look at all the diversity we have. We have hundreds of different types of dog, all of which can serve different needs and different people as workers or guardians or loyal companions. If the world felt the same way as you towards selective breeding then all we would have is wolves :). As such, wouldn't it be neat if in a few hundred years we have a variety of different and interesting clownfish? I'm all for the blue clownfish or glowing one! :yay:

Tossing this out there so it can be immediately shot down, but target-breeding to make a fish *look* a certain way reminds me of dog-breeding and pedigrees that are based on dogs *looking* a certain way, i.e., a standard.

Can't focusing on an appearance standard and breeding to get a particular *look* lead to other physical problems? Or eventually limit or eliminate other desireable traits? Isn't this why some feel that *muts* are actually a better dog sometimes than the AKC, as far as physical traits and health problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_dysplasia">hip dysplaysia</a> is one that comes to mind).

I have an ABCA border collie and chose not to register this dog with the AKC because the AKC defines and promotes a particular *look* in a dog and not other desirable traits, such as intelligence and work ethic. [IMG]http://www.bordercollie.org/akc.html">See this link</a>.

Do we want a fish that just looks different because the guy next door doesnt have one? Is this a status/ego thing? Is a clownfish bred to look a certain way going to eventually lose some other traits that make it uniquely a clownfish?

Just some things to think about.

jmaneyapanda;127221 wrote:

With my background, it is impossible for me to admit and support any type of inbreeding, as it has no benefit on the species, or individuals as a whole.

Bored yet?

YES :).

Anyways it just boils down to you being against all types of selective breeding, which you are assuming they are using in their breeding program. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I respect your stance, I just happen to disagree. :)

Back