Dialing in calcium reactor

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I got this great deal on an MRC dual chamber reactor and started reading on how to set it up and dial it in. It’s a complete setup with solenoid and bubble counter. The instructions say that it is best to measure the effluent between the two chambers. The reactor doesn’t have a place for a probe but there’s a T on the line between the first and second chamber. The first question is how to place the probe between the chambers? </span>
<span style="color: black;">Then, if I have to place the probe after the second chamber, at the exit point, how would you do it? </span>
<span style="color: black;">The other question is would be the PH range to measure in each one of the possibilities?</span>

You need a pH probe holder. The T might have it already installed, unless it was taken out. Not sure where you can get those, local store might carry them. I don't have another to check after the 2nd chamber, I just have a probe in my tank. If you want to test after the 2nd, I'd suggest a cup that the effluent drips into then it'll over flow into your tank. This will also help in raising the pH before it enters your tank. I generally keep my pH at 6.6 leaving the first chamber (I run the small ARM media). After the second, I have no clue what it is....I'll check when i get home because I'm sorta curious to see how much a diff that second chamber makes.

interesting site to read too

index.php

Yep, just saw it.

Here are two links to the probe holder:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RF-PROBEH&Category_Code=cparts">http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RF-PROBEH&Category_Code=cparts</a>
or mcmaster.com part# 50775K339.

<span style="color: black;">Now, the question is where to drill... second chamber I would think. Or, find a way to attach something between 1st and 2nd chamber that can hold a probe.</span>

I drilled and tapped the top of my main MRC chamber to hold that probe holder. Works like a charm and looks great, too.

I'm extremely busy these days, but may be able to help you out on a weekend. I've got all the parts around here to make it happen.

Alternatively, you could get a 1/2" threaded "T" fitting, and put the probe holder in the T and John Guest fittings in the other two ends, and then you can stick it inline. That's what Lee has on his (my old reactor).

mojo;178811 wrote: I'm extremely busy these days, but may be able to help you out on a weekend. I've got all the parts around here to make it happen.
Thanks, I might take you on this.

mojo;178813 wrote: Alternatively, you could get a 1/2" threaded "T" fitting, and put the probe holder in the T and John Guest fittings in the other two ends, and then you can stick it inline. That's what Lee has on his (my old reactor).
Where do I get this T fitting? is that somthing I can find at HD/Lowes?

Where do I get this T fitting? is that somthing I can find at HD/Lowes?

Yup. I usually have better luck at Lowes for PVC fittings. Get Lee to take a picture of his setup for reference...

You could also take the reactor to MRC in Lawrenceville and have Tim tap it and install that same probe holder for you. I have that type holder in the top of my MRC reactor. Probably wouldn't cost more than $20 for everything.

MRC has good after sales support of their products. My entire system is MRC.
Dave

Man, I've been so busy I've been spacing this pic thing. In all honesty its super simple. You get a T thats threaded on all ends. The top part of the T has the probe holder screwed in. The 2 ends has a john gusset fitting screwed on so you can attach 1/4" RO line to it. Sooooo from the top of the 1st chamber there will be an out with an RO line, that goes to the T which will then lead to the bottom of the 2nd chamber. The 2nd chamber will have an out at the top which will return to your tank. I "should" have a moment to breath when I get home today. I'll for sure get the pic for you.

Dude I totally suck....sorry it took so long to get this pic. I've been super busy with work. Alas, here it is. Don't mind the salt creep all over the reactor, Chris sold me a bunk reactor ;) Just messin man, things like this are bound to happen. Time to weld-on the hell out of it, lol.

caT.jpg
alt="" />

And in short, the top line is coming out of the top of the first chamber. And the bottom line runs to the bottom of the second chamber......or if you don't have a second chamber, it'll go into the tank. I'd suggest making or placing a cup that will collect the effluent which will then overflow drip into your tank if you only have 1 reaction chamber. This will help raise the pH a bit before it enters into your tank ;)

Back