Diamond Gobies and rock work?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Could a diamond goby potentially knock down all my rock work? I see him sifting around the bases of teh rocks alot more than in the open areas.....

Should I put all that sand back or will that just stress him out? Or do they have enough structural engineer in them to know not to eat too much of the foundation? (Somehow I dount they would).

hmm...thats a great suggestion....the rubble....thanks.....

yeah I dont hink he will either but if he does and I have to redo it all I'll kill that little rascal.....ok not really.....but I may not talk to him for a few days.....:D

My Diamond Goby moved a few of my rocks form digging underneath (that was before he took a leap of fiath to see if he could breath air. Bad choice on his part) Like dawgdude said, just make sure the rocks are pushed deep into your sandbed and use some rubble in the areas you don't want him to sift! They are excellent susbstrate cleaners and a blast to watch!

hmmm, I wonder where my guy is. I havnt seen him in a few days, I might go looking to see if hes trapped under a rock.

Before I set up my tank I scribbled all over the bottom of my tank with a safe silicone. It looks like lines of silicone spread around going in all directions. I then built all of my LR to be secure and not slide around at all locking together. I used plastic electrical ties on two rocks that make up my pass under "cave". Once I was sure that nothing could knock over or dig under my rocks I added the sand. Rocks first and Sand last. That is the best way IMO to put the tank together to ensure no rockslides and squished fish or coral. :)

If your rock is touching the bottom with sand around it, it is unlikley. If your rock is sitting on top of sand, I would refer to the old saying (and biblical reference) about a house built on sand.

LOL.....or maybe a house of crads...nbut yes...house of sand is more appropriate I guess.....

my rocks are definitely not touching the bottom and they are definitely on the sand so i think I an going to go for the rubble idea......

for future reference though, in setting up tanks....i thought about the whole silicon on the bottomthing but I know there have been a couple of time in my fishkeeping days that you have to move the rocks......dosnt that make it impossible......or is ir pretty easy to pull off the silicone if NEED be.....?

JOMT did a good job of planning his tank out way before putting it together as you can tell. I believe the use of silicone is to provide a nice energy absorbing surface on the bottom glass, not to hold the rocks in place.

I would just wiggle the foundation rocks down to the glass then restack the rock back on top of it. Works really well.

FutureInterest was correct in his above post. Sorry if I was not clear enough. I had the tank on stand for several days before the LR got to my house. I just shot and smeared silicone in random lines all over the bottom and let it cure for days before getting the tank running. The silicone prevents the rocks from sliding on the slippery glass bottom; gives the rock a bit of "traction". It also offers some "cushion" in the event anything is dropped onto the bare glass bottom before the sand was added. :)

Back