Diatom bloom

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
Well I think all the ugly brown stuff growing on my base rock and in my fuge is just a diatom bloom. Now the question is do i just let it run its course or is there some thing i can do. I have been told not to bother with cleaning the rock due to the fact that it will just grow right back. I have done a small water change. And got my lights on a timer. The tank has been set up for about one and a half to two months and this will be the first real problem I have seen. ( for any one who knows it turns out the clown fish dieing was not a problem with the tank and the LFS i got them from is taking care of the price of the fish for me). I have had 3 chromis in the tank for a little over a week and they seem to be doing fine. So all this is just to ask, is this a normal time to have this bloom or is it late in the cycle and means something is going go in the tank?

yes very normal just keep up with water changes and you should be fine also take your time 2 months is not a long time to have that many fish in just take it slow and youll be happy with your end result

I started with just the 2 clowns when all my levels got down to where they where had them about a week then they both died. Let the tank sit for about a week then added 3 new fish. Is that still moving too fast?

i little bit waite until the diatom bloom goes away than add another fish waite about a onth and add another best i can tell you even though i have like 8 fish in mine and am going to be adding like 2 more reall soon but just keep up with water changes

Back