Difference between zoas and paly's

crowe

Market
Reaction score
Okay experts, I love zoas and paly's. I googled and cant get a really strait answer. What separates a zoa from a paly?:eek: How do I tell the difference?

2 big differences are:

1. Zoanthid are generally smaller than a paly

2. Zoanthid grow as a carpet, covering the rock. Palys have a stem and stand off the rock, though the paly mat covers the rock, the stems stand off the surface.

tokejr;358830 wrote: 2 big differences are:

1. Zoanthid are generally smaller than a paly

2. Zoanthid grow as a carpet, covering the rock. Palys have a stem and stand off the rock, though the paly mat covers the rock, the stems stand off the surface.

I have some fire and ice zoas that are on a piece of stick like rock that are connected (carpet) but have very long stems has they turn up towards the light.

That's probably because there isn't realy an easy answer. Scientifically they are all in the Family Zoanthidae and could therefore all be called zoas. Three genus are Palythoa, Protopalythoa, and Zoanthus with the first two being generally duller colors, tans and browns with some flouresence and are relatively larger than the smaller more colorful Zoanthus. So generally speaking Palys are larger and duller, while what we typically call zoas are smaller and much more colorful. There is certain to be much overlap between the two which confuses the issue.

There are differences in their physical properties that define them better but they are way above my knowledge and limited expertice.

ares;358834 wrote: I believe both are true untill they arent...

I had also heard zoas have around mouth, palys have a slit, apparently that is also true until it isnt. the actual differences are not easy to say with any gaurentee, generally speaking, if you just call them all polyps, you'll never be wrong.

aside from protopalys, there isnt much to worry about as far as differences in care, so distinguishing them isnt TOO big of a deal.

Thats what i am finding.

Budsreef;358836 wrote: That's probably because there isn't realy an easy answer. Scientifically they are all in the Family Zoanthidae and could therefore all be called zoas. Three genus are Palythoa, Protopalythoa, and Zoanthus with the first two being generally duller colors, tans and browns with some flouresence and are relatively larger than the smaller more colorful Zoanthus. So generally speaking Palys are larger and duller, while what we typically call zoas are smaller and much more colorful. There is certain to be much overlap between the two which confuses the issue.

There are differences in their physical properties that define them better but they are way above my knowledge and limited expertice.

Okay, I am on the same page now! I like them both just when I talk of them didnt want get the proper names mixed up and look like an idiot!:doh:

Thanks all!, including Tokejr and Vista.

ares;358844 wrote: most of the polyps we talk of that include paly or zoa are hardly fact. VDMs come to mind as a big ol zoa, I believe they are a zoa anyway... or labeled as it... thats kinda the problem though, isnt it. but it is big, bigger than some palys for sure. but generally zoas get assigned to smaller polyps, and paly to larger ones. and everyone just drinks the koolaid :)

LOL, I get it! I just like the colors!:D

Back