Dig this lighting system

smoothie

Market
Reaction score
Wanna save a few bucks and have cloud coverage? Check this out. I thought it was cool
watch

Pretty sweet right? But I need to get my new one out of the garage before I get to try this or anything

Sweet thinking. Thats nice if your running a frag system, but on a DT I would like to have full coverage over everything for viewing..

The light-movers have been around for a while, but there's definitely a trade-off. Dana Riddle and others have shown that light absorption is cumulative, so that you'd have to make up for less light with a longer photoperiod.

So, picking some numbers out of the air, let's say a coral would thrive under a 250w for 8hrs/day. Put that same coral under a light mover with the same light, and you'll get less growth, since it's only getting part of 250w for the same 8 hours.

Of course, there are a number of factors involved. Many corals reach photoinhibition at a certain point, so no additional light will be beneficial. And, as William said, you wouldn't want it on a display tank...

I have seen this video once before. I wonder if a place in town sells the light movers?

Check out garden centers- they've been adapted from greenhouses and such.

True. I shoulda put "for your frag tank" in the first post since that is what they are on in the video. Thanks Mojo for the catch. If you come across more links to these setups or on light absorption/photoperiod feel free to paste them on this thread.

I couldn't find the articles I had in mind off hand, but browse Advanced Aquarist -there's tons of great articles there.

One I found was on the http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature2/view?searchterm=None">requirements for Superman Monitpora</a> - it goes into depth about photo-inhibition in that article.

Actually... I just found something very pertinent. [IMG]http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/5/aafeature/view?searchterm=None">Feature Article: A Different Look at Lighting: Effects of Prolonged Photoperiod, Spectral Quality, and Light Dosage</a>

Thanks for the link! Cool idea.

The rest of the videos are quite interesting too. There's one about visiting a wholesale fish and coral dealer as well.

Just found out that worldwide corals in Orlando uses these on their frag tanks.
Anyone going to Sea World this summer check'em out

Back