Digital aquatics Reefkeeper Lite setup. Good?

mwbeach

Market
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a used DA Lite Reefkeeper.

It will come with the head unit, power strip, pH probe and temp for $85

Is this a good unit? Is the price good? Or should I hold off and get a different unit down the road?

Thanks

It really depends on what you wish to control. The RKL is a fine, dependable controller, but it has its limits. You can only control 4 DA modules with it, so it is not very expandable. A typical setup for a RKL might be two PC4s, an SL1 or SL2 module, and some other module. There, you have reached your limit.

I would say it would prolly be OK for a simple setup, equipment wise, but if you plan on running/controlling multiple pumps, float switches, lights, pH probes, etc., I would look at the ReefKeeper Elite in DA equipment, or to the Neptune Systems controller.

Also, you say you get a pH probe with this. You will need an SL1 or SL2 module to use it with a ReefKeeper Lite.

I would put that money towards an apex. There are used deals that pop up occasionally. Otherwise, you can start with a base unit and expand from there.

I have limited experience with both Apex and ReefKeeper. In my honest opinion both are good products however Apex wins out on many issues. It is close but Neptune is just one step ahead on all counts.

The problem with the lite versions of anything is, you get spoiled and you want more. With the lite, you hit a point where you can no longer get more so you either accept that or you buy a full blown version anyway. Just my opinion.

I have a RKE and its great and gets the job done even on an advanced level. The Apex does cost more but you will be getting your money's worth and they are a step ahead of DA

I have a RKL with one power head. It only controls my power heads, skimmer and pump which helps with feeding and water changes. At this point though, i wish i had gone with either the RKL plus or another system since i need another powerhead to control dosing pump and temp.

I think a basic RKL setup is perfect for a FW setup. I have a 180 FW community tank, and the RKL head unit, a PC4, and an SL1 module with pH and temp probe controls everything I have on the tank. I had to go to the ReefKeeper Elite for my two reef systems, however.

I bought my RKE systems years ago when DA and Neptune were pretty neck and neck in terms of systems and flexibility, but in the years since then Digital Aquatic's lack of product innovation and terrible, and I mean terrible, Customer Service has left them in Neptune's dust. If I weren't so heavily invested in DA controllers I would switch to Neptune (Apex), but DA equipment is pretty bullet proof IME.

When or if my RKEs poop out on me, I will prolly get an Apex system.

Back