Digital Parm Readings?

geno

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Palatino Linotype;">I finally filled the tank (125) cranked up the pumps and powerheads and waited for the dust to clear. All I have in the tank at this time is about 50# of base rock -- plan to add the LR to start the cycling ASAP.</span>
<span style="font-family: Palatino Linotype;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Palatino Linotype;">Here's my question: Is it common for the pH probe to give a reading different from the chemical test? My pH according to the probe (ACJr) is 8.03, yet a chemical test looks more like 8.2ish. I'm partial color blind so it's really hard for me to tell. Does a pH of 8.0 seem reasonable for my current setup -- or do you suspect an false reading from the probe? I've calibrated the darn thing twice now.</span>
<span style="font-family: Palatino Linotype;">Frankly, I would like all paramters to be digital -- I don't really like the color chart -- it seems too subjective.</span>
<span style="font-family: Palatino Linotype;">-geno</span>

I would trust the digital pH meter more than the chemical test. When did you mix the water and how long has the water been cycling. Most of the time fresh mixed water have a pH of 8.2.

Thanks for the follow up--

The water mix is only a few days old. The GS is good.

Given that my pH probe is correct at 8.03 -- what's the recommended way to raise it to the more desired 8.2?

All my pumps are running (return and skimmer) plus 2 Hydor 4's -- plenty of Oxygen I would think.

I have used simply pH buffers in the past both by Seachem and Kent that have worked.

quite honestly, I'd worry more about CA, ALK and Mg before pH. Get those balanced and then see what your pH is at. A pH of 8.2 is nice, but I've seen many successful reefs where the pH is only 7.8-7.9

you can add kalk. It will raise your ph and calcium.

I would trust the probe over the test kit, especially if it has been calibrated and reads the cal solution correctly.

Water changes will naturally adjust the pH. When you start using buffers like that they become like a drug to your tank, and it will form an ecosystem that relies on them. Think of it like someone who needs their morning coffee.

Most of the time it's easier to let the tank adjust itself especially when there isn't livestock in the tank to compromise.

You know, I'm beginning to appreciate all the more that this hobby is an art -- not a science.

What impact (if any) will adding LR have on the pH level?

Also, I should post this question separately -- but in case anyone follows this thread -- I have another question (which, btw, I have researched on the board)

I would like to invest in a quality UPS device. At first I was thinking of running just my main pump (390 watts) -- what I found is that most APC or Tripp-Lite devices will only run a pump of that size for about 30 minutes.

Now, if I switch to just the Hydor 4's (total of 24 watts) -- now we're talk'n!

I don't want to hook the car up to the tank -- so I'll pass on that approach.

I am interested in true sine wave technology only -- if anyone has a solid recommendation or experience.

One day I hope to have suffient knowledge and experience to return the favors I have been extended by this board -- Thank you:thumbs:

Skriz;158175 wrote: you can add kalk. It will raise your ph and calcium.

I would trust the probe over the test kit, especially if it has been calibrated and reads the cal solution correctly.

I agree with Raj on this. Have you calibrated the new probe with 2 solutions one low (7.00) and one high (10.0)?

Back