Digital salinity meter preference?

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
I am looking into purchasing a digital salinity meter so that my wife may help to keep my tank stable while I'm on the road. I've tried to teach her the refractometer but it has not stuck in this far. So i would like suggestions on the most user friendly recommendations. Thx!

I have a pinpoint and hanna like both. The hanna is very easy to calibrate and use. The pinpoint is pretty easy to calibrate and simple to use. The pinpoint seems to hold calibration a little longer/better than the hanna. Bot are great tho

I have a pinpoint and hanna like both. The hanna is very easy to calibrate and use. The pinpoint is pretty easy to calibrate and simple to use. The pinpoint seems to hold calibration a little longer/better than the hanna. Bot are great tho
Soo the pinpoint stays submerged for active monitoring? How often do you calibrate?

I love the Hanna Salinity Tester HI98319. I really wish I would have bought one a long time ago. I've got a really nice refractometer and still use it but this thing is a breeze to use and I calibrate it every 2-3 months. I have noticed the reading drift a bit when I've gone any longer without calibrating but the it was only off by a tiny amount. i.e. it was reading 1.026 before calibration and was 1.025 once calibrated. I believe that @aestheticlibra has the same one and really likes it.

When I'm done, I shake it off, swirl it in a tiny amount of RODI water and store it for the next use. If it ever broke for some reason, I would buy another one that same day.

https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/index.php?threads/hannah-hi98319.1173628/#post-1225402

So do you leave it in all the time or only dip into the tank when you wanna test?
I use the pinpoint when I am making new water or if I am adjusting the salinity of a tank. Now If i am just doing a quick check of all the tanks I normally use the hanna

I use the pinpoint when I am making new water or if I am adjusting the salinity of a tank. Now If i am just doing a quick check of all the tanks I normally use the hanna
Thx for the input. I think with your recommendation along with @jcook54im gonna invest in the hanna. Ive got nice frags from both of you so i have some good insight. :Thumbsupa:

Back