Dino help!

MiniQuaid

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi there! Was hoping some of y’all might have some ideas how how to get rid of Dino’s?? Started noticing a small flair up an want to try and get ahead of it before it gets worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manual removal, water change, total blackout, manual removal, water change... repeat as necessary.

I've read elevated pH can help too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IMO - let it happen. Normal size water changes, be sure your filtration is good - don't overfeed etc.

Once I let that process (dino cycle if you will) happen - they went away and have not returned.

I HATE dinos. I had it a while back and replaced the sand bed along w a near 100% water change. It tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a microscope to diagnose for sure that it's dinoflagellates and not diatoms? You can also sometimes determine what species with a microscope and different treatments work better on different species. I had mostly ostreopsis and what finally worked for me was a UV sterilizer and 3 day blackout. They actually just came back in the past couple days after two to three weeks of inconsistent care because I was out of town a lot. I think the main thing that made them bloom this time was a lack of nutrients as I wasn't feeding for days at a time in addition to scrubbing off a bunch of nuisance algae that might have been using nutrients before the dinos could. Basically, things got just slightly off balance and they came back. When I got rid of them the first time I also added different types of bacteria, pods, phytoplankton, and macro algae after the blackout to try to diversify my micro flora and fauna.

Back