Dinos or cyano

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I've been fighting this like Dinos but the thought hit me...
Is it cyano? It isn't that purple color I'm use to seeing w cyano, but I wanted to get yalls opinion.
Dinos or cyano?
Thanks
Included for your enjoyment are a few pics of this f&@)"%# algae that's plaguing me

2abfd77a5fda07b0fd541abc272a865e.jpg
alt="" />
7d3ae5332955d96a7dedeb69fc65311a.jpg
alt="" />
de1cd742ce34fac18b971f9ffde11fc4.jpg
alt="" />
23d1d109b8f1cf7c1ac47456a2b5bfe2.jpg
alt="" />

Sick of this stuff
Tell me it's cyano and I'll nuke it w chemiclean!

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I'm not over run w it.... But it's just hanging on and won't relent. If a coral has any issue at all it attaches and kills it slowly

Overflow for a good pic
c4e21b5768ba9eaf7d44bfbb29716a0e.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a few pretty pics to restore your faith in me haha.
Yea this stuff is really bothering me that I can't get rid of it
0c58ca87ee43039a9438bba1baba8eea.jpg
alt="" />
aa45eadb10b6e8d3474e229792456853.jpg
alt="" />
760d9259fd9658018b6ae2fb8971293c.jpg
alt="" />

Here it is on my gyre
1fb96d9c833202a375b7fbbddb016858.jpg
alt="" />

As I look at pics.... It looks like diatoms or something .... But it "mats" a lot thicker than diatoms I've seen

Diatoms would be my first guess. 3rd pic looks kind of snotty like dinos. Did you remove a sand bed recently?

Ringo[emoji768 wrote: ;1084838]Diatoms would be my first guess. 3rd pic looks kind of snotty like dinos. Did you remove a sand bed recently?

I did, but it was to help get RID of this stuff. It was there long before I removed the sand

Diatoms feed off silicates. Stirring up the sand bed probably gave them their last feast. Hopefully you're seeing the last of it. Out of curiosity, what sand did you use?

It was argonite ... Don't remember the brand

I've read that cyano can accompany dinos on the back side. Basically, if you see cyano popping up keep up what you're doing.

I'd do a few more WCs to help.

jbadd99;1084846 wrote: I've read that cyano can accompany dinos on the back side. Basically, if you see cyano popping up keep up what you're doing.

I'd do a few more WCs to help.

That's one of the frustrating things.
Supposedly doing water changes fuels Dinos

I think you're chasing your tail here. It's hard to diagnose & fix problems when to don't know the quality of your source water. Like I said yesterday slow down, fix the rodi issue and start moving forward from there. Once the you know you have good water then you can do another couple of bigger water changes and vacuum & scrub as much of this stuff out in the process. Then keep an eye on it for a couple weeks and balance out all of your water parameters then finally treat if necessary.
This isn't a hobby where you should look for results in hours or days but weeks and months.

anit77;1084861 wrote: I think you're chasing your tail here. It's hard to diagnose & fix problems when to don't know the quality of your source water. Like I said yesterday slow down, fix the rodi issue and start moving forward from there. Once the you know you have good water then you can do another couple of bigger water changes and vacuum & scrub as much of this stuff out in the process. Then keep an eye on it for a couple weeks and balance out all of your water parameters then finally treat if necessary.
This isn't a hobby where you should look for results in hours or days but weeks and months.

What makes you think I don't know my water quality?
Water is 0 TDS via RODI
Salt is Red Sea Pro.
Alk is 9.8
No3 undetectable Red Sea pro
Po4 u detectable Red Sea pro
Ca 440

Btw water changes will FEED Dinos for anyone else following.

Crew;1084859 wrote: How long has it been going on?

Hey I've been fighting this about 5 months. It's not taking over, but it's not gone either

I think my next move will be to start running a little GFO . Just in case the po4 is being tied up in the algae instead of being actual 0

Scratch the diatoms comment. Guess I need to look at these pics on a PC vs my phone. That's the brown funk for sure. Sorry man.

You said yesterday that you were reading .11 phos and elevated tds after your DI. Maybe I misunderstood what you said in your other thread.

Back