Dino's?

Cook

President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I went on vacation last week and when I returned my frag tank was a mess due to a series of unfortunate events that started with me adding a bunch of cured rock before I left, continued with my filter socks and sponges becoming clogged, and ended with the 5 gallon contents of my ATO dumped into the tank. I posted on R2R about it when I thought it was more of a bacterial/ algae bloom.

Anyway. Are these the dreaded Dino's or something else? It's getting worse and I'm starting to see some coral casualties. This stuff is like slime and will completely clog a filter sock in about 15 minutes. I don't see it disappearing and reappearing at night like some accounts. I can in general blow it off the corals with a Turkey baster. One coral I blew off last night RTN'd. One suggestion that was given to me was to introduce some GHA, but I am reluctant to do that since it has turned into such a battle with my display.

I will have access to a microscope tomorrow while I am at work, so hopefully I can analyze it there. I did find the thread where you add some hydrogen peroxide and observe for bubbles to detect cyano versus dino's. From that test about 20% of the sample formed bubbles (cyano) the rest did not (potentially dino's). I tried the coffee filter test next and I did not see re-clumping of the material, but I'm not sure if I might have too fine of a coffee filter for that purpose.

Here is a picture from today. I am moving to a 4 hour light cycle, but considering a total blackout if I have the right diagnosis. It's growing even in the dark in my opinion.

IMG_7694.jpgIMG_7696.jpg

That does not look like the Dino's I had. But there are different strains. Dino's can be blown off of what it is covering and basically dissipates into the water.

Yeah, it doesn’t look like what I experienced with dinos a few months back. Mine was thicker and like a stringy slime with bubbles. Easy to blow off and didn’t grow like what you have. Sorry, not much help on diagnosing what you are experiencing

Back