Dipping live rock

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
If I dip my rock in an iodine mixture for the removal of flat worms,will there be any die off on the live rock??
Should I use FW or SW??
How long should I leave the rock in the dip??

Yes, Iodine will kill most anything in the rock, including the things you do not want to kill.

If you were to dip in iodine, 15-20 min dip should kill most of the flatworms. I would suggest rincing the rock in a bowl of RO or SW after you dip it.

Hey Dave, What range do you mean? 1.030 or higher? And will it affect my corals and "live" stuff in and on the rocks?

jason sartain;227625 wrote: So hyper will harm corals and hypo will harm flat worms,brisstle worms,etc...?

Both extremes will harm your corals. You're best bet is to use Flatworm Exit. Go to Melev's reef and follow his little guide and everything will be fine. WHy would you want to kill off the bristle worms?

I know there a part of the clean up crew but my wife gets the "hibby-gibby's" :yuk: when she see's one.I told her that we will never get rid of all of them even if we dip them.
theplatypus;227626 wrote: Both extremes will harm your corals. You're best bet is to use Flatworm Exit. Go to Melev's reef and follow his little guide and everything will be fine. WHy would you want to kill off the bristle worms?

jason sartain;227627 wrote: I know there a part of the clean up crew but my wife gets the "hibby-gibby's" :yuk: when she see's one.I told her that we will never get rid of all of them even if we dip them.

LMAO!

jason sartain;227635 wrote: Me too! But on a more serious note,will the flatworms release enough toxins to worry about?

Depends on how many there are and the water volume of your system.

Well right now there in a 75 gal but I'm building a 240 gal that it will be going into,SOOO, I guess I could treat that tank before I move it,and any rock without corals on them I will just dip in Iodine solution.

No prob Dave,do you think if I Iodine dip the rocks and then SW dip the same rocks will there be a big die off and cycle in my new tank?
saltwater junky;227655 wrote: i didnt read the coral part, i thought you were just dipping rocks.

jason sartain;227642 wrote: Well right now there in a 75 gal but I'm building a 240 gal that it will be going into,SOOO, I guess I could treat that tank before I move it,and any rock without corals on them I will just dip in Iodine solution.

It would probably be a better idea to treat everything in the 75 with FE and then move it to the 240.

Back