dirty w/c water?

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I prep my water changes in an old RC bucket. Sometimes fresh saltwater will sit w/ or w/o a heater for a week at a time (I only put the heater in the day before I plan the change). It has a powerhead in it for constant circulation and the only light it may see is I drilled about a 1" hole in the top center for the cords to come out of (heater and powerhead).

Well today I noticed that there was a light, brown maybe dark green coat on the bucket and some floaties (looked like algae) in the bucket.

Should I just clean it out and I'm ok? is this normal? am I retarded (ok, slow</em> to be PC)?

I would just clean it out and I'm sure your fine. The brown is probably precipitate from mixing salt.
stickx911;280795 wrote: I prep my water changes in an old RC bucket. Sometimes fresh saltwater will sit w/ or w/o a heater for a week at a time (I only put the heater in the day before I plan the change). It has a powerhead in it for constant circulation and the only light it may see is I drilled about a 1" hole in the top center for the cords to come out of (heater and powerhead).

Well today I noticed that there was a light, brown maybe dark green coat on the bucket and some floaties (looked like algae) in the bucket.

Should I just clean it out and I'm ok? is this normal? am I retarded (ok, slow</em> to be PC)?

Sounds like algae. Clean the bucket out; should be just fine.

To be safe, dump it. It's only 5g, so no big loss. Btw, you're better off not premixing for too long before you use the sw.

The calcium will precipitate out of the water. This is the reason that Seachem adds borate to their salt mix.

I can go into more detail if you'd like?

Skriz;281300 wrote: The calcium will precipitate out of the water. This is the reason that Seachem adds borate to their salt mix.

I can go into more detail if you'd like?

Please do! I usually make about 30G at a time and it stays in the container for a couple of weeks before it is all gone and I start over.

I usually prep a day or two in advance, but sometimes things come up, so it gets pushed back. but I may be more picky now. thanks for the info.

Check your power heads that you are using to mix the salt with. Mine sometimes spit out some nasty after I have used them on and off to mix up new water. I clean them every few water changes. Since I use them and then store them wet the get some funk in them.

Back