Disco clams

ichthyoid

Trustee
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I came across this article about why the flashing occurs in 'Disco Clams'. If you've ever owned one, or even seen one, then you know their displays can be intriguing. Enjoy! ...

a>

RedStang;1005940 wrote: Interesting read, thanks for the link!

You are quite welcome. Apparently, they flash in order to attract prey, which was not quite clear from this article.

Very interesting read, Thanks Bill. I didn't see a pic do you think these are similar to "Electric" Scallops? I think think that SEA got some in a long while ago...

showthread.php

ichthyoid;1005941 wrote: You are quite welcome. Apparently, they flash in order to attract prey, which was not quite clear from this article.

Yeah, when I read that they changed their flashing in the presence of a predator they didn't do a good job explaining how the flashing changed but I did pick up that the presence of prey enhanced their flashing. Seems like the article may have been translated or written by someone without strong English skills but it was an interesting article nonetheless.

ichthyoid;1005941 wrote: You are quite welcome. Apparently, they flash in order to attract prey, which was not quite clear from this article.

Sounds like a few other people I heard of from the Disco era. :)

Electric Flame scallops they are sold as pretty much everywhere. I haven't really known anyone to keep these over a year...if not shorter. But that was about 10 years ago....perhaps they do better these days?

nope same success rate now.

The problem is partly feeding and mostly the fact they will swim around until they end up behind a rock somewhere you cant get it out and they cant get food.

+1

According to the article they are phyto feeders. I've been in this hobby decades, and never seen one last more than a few months.

Maybe the best chance would be with a huge fuge in the system, and nothing picking on them. (or in the fuge ;)

They are gorgeous though, aren't they!

Haha..Disco clams. I have never heard them called that before. I think the only way these guys would last would be in a solid fuge system. I see them for sale all the time, and was tempted to buy one in my younger days. I've only known one person who has kept one, and it didn't last very long.

With an average life span of three years it would be hard to define success. As Jenn said in another thread about our inhabitants " they do not come with a birth certificate".Bay scallops in the Gulf of Mexico only live an average of 18 months. Not the Methuselah of the ocean.

Back