Discus

Jdadams

Market
Reaction score
Anyone on here breed discus or know of anyone that does? Looking to set up a discus tank.

I ordered from MacsDiscus.com last spring and received a great deal and some very healthy discus. I just checked his website and his prices have gone up more than I expected....a sign of the times I suppose. However, even at his higher prices he's by far the best price you will find anywhere.....at least IMHO. It was hard to get good pictures of some of my discus but these are four that I purchased from Steve at MacsDiscus.com. The big orange discus I bought without pictures, as he was running a "grab bag" special at the time. All I knew was it was going to be between 5 and 6" in size. He's a really cool fish and I only paid $18 for him. The little white one was 3" when I purchased him and I think I paid $20 for him. Even though I saw some $48 to $58 dollar ranges when I checked his site today, that is for a sizable discus (5 to 6 inches). If you purchased that same size fish at your LFS the cost would be a few hundred dollars. I have purchased from this vendor for a few more of my discus as well and I always receive very healthy fish no matter the size.

I have had a pair from his batch lay eggs over and over.....and even have had some fry attached to the filter intake pipe.....but they always eat them. I finally got tired of trying to have babies and moved all the discus into one larger tank. At this point I probably won't be having any future possibility for surviving fry but I had not planned on that initially anyway.

Hope you find what you are looking for so you can have a discus tank....they certainly are interesting.

Attachments

• discus 2-15-21.jpg
    discus 2-15-21.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 38
I ordered from MacsDiscus.com last spring and received a great deal and some very healthy discus. I just checked his website and his prices have gone up more than I expected....a sign of the times I suppose. However, even at his higher prices he's by far the best price you will find anywhere.....at least IMHO. It was hard to get good pictures of some of my discus but these are four that I purchased from Steve at MacsDiscus.com. The big orange discus I bought without pictures, as he was running a "grab bag" special at the time. All I knew was it was going to be between 5 and 6" in size. He's a really cool fish and I only paid $18 for him. The little white one was 3" when I purchased him and I think I paid $20 for him. Even though I saw some $48 to $58 dollar ranges when I checked his site today, that is for a sizable discus (5 to 6 inches). If you purchased that same size fish at your LFS the cost would be a few hundred dollars. I have purchased from this vendor for a few more of my discus as well and I always receive very healthy fish no matter the size.

I have had a pair from his batch lay eggs over and over.....and even have had some fry attached to the filter intake pipe.....but they always eat them. I finally got tired of trying to have babies and moved all the discus into one larger tank. At this point I probably won't be having any future possibility for surviving fry but I had not planned on that initially anyway.

Hope you find what you are looking for so you can have a discus tank....they certainly are interesting.
Thanks for sharing that website. Nice variety and good prices. Much cheaper than I thought.

I just started a discus tank about 3 weeks ago. Having a hard time finding discus locally. I saw the one at Petco. they don't look too healthy.

Attachments

• discus.jpg
    discus.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 24
I just started a discus tank about 3 weeks ago. Having a hard time finding discus locally. I saw the one at Petco. they don't look too healthy.
I think the degrade overtime sitting in their tanks. You can always talk to the aquatics manager and have them order it for you and have them call you when it arrives.

I will more than likely be using the website mzfixit mentioned. Good variety, good prices and I know where they are coming from. I haven’t even started setting up a tank yet. I plan on using a 75gal and using the aquadecor background I believe the king of DIY uses on his tanks.

Creations always look super stressed. IMO you want as high quality discus as you can find since they can be tough fish.

check the Atlanta area aquarium association. There’s a few breeders on there

Back