Disease prevention - Flame wrasse

atlfishes

Market
Reaction score
I'm picking up a pair of flame wrasses and was wondering what are best methods to prevent disease with these fish. Different fish have different sensitivity levels and to date I have not kept wrasses.

Was thinking fresh water dip and either into main tank or qt.

I'd like to hear from someone who has kept reef wrasses.

Thanks

I've got a pair of flame wrasses and I would definately recommend QT. They tolerate it very well and it helps them acclimate. Wrasses have a habit of disappearing fior several days when first put into a tank. When I QT them first, they tend handle the transition better and dont hide as long. Where are you getting your pair?

I'm kind of a wrasse junky and have quite a few fairy wrasses. Good selection on the flames, they're beautiful and most importantly very hardy. Like most fairy wrasses they are very disease resistant, the primary form of death though is from jumping so I cannot stress enough that you need to make your tank kamikaze proof.

As for acclimation/qt/etc... although its frowned upon, I just acclimate my fairys if they look healthy and then put them in a specimen container in my main tank till they're eating. Once I see them eating and none of the other wrasses are attacking them I let them loose.

Back