DIY: 120 Stand and canopy

gmpolan

Market
Reaction score
I figured i would start here on getting advice on if this is feasible at all.
I dont like the look of the cheap AGA stands and some of the more custom stuff is almost twice the cost of my tank so i doubt ill go that road.
I have a close friend that will let me use his shop to build this but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or any links. Specs

120 AGA 48 x 2 x 2
Sump prob will be in the range of 36 x 12 x 16 or so (30 to 40 gal)
Lighting: not sure yet but its pretty deep so prob two 250MH

Thanks and all input/suggestions are welcome

Well, for starters, how tall do you want it? I hated having to bend over to look at my sand bed, now the bottom of the tank is like 38" above the floor.

Also, what kind of reflectors will you be using with MH? Some like Lumenbrights need 18" (bottom of reflector to water) to get proper spread.

I assume to be about be about 68 inches or so..I am not sure as to what the standard is but im only 5'11 and i know your alot taller so what would your recommendation be.

thoughts were to go with lumenbright elites but i havent done my hw yet so ill need to look into that. I only say that because i see alot of other people using them and giving them good reviews.

Your more than welcome to scan through my build thread. There are some pics of my stand being built incase you want some ideas.

showthread.php

Thank you John, as i might have a ton of extra questions...
I have the exact same set up and i will plumbing a 30 gallon into mine..

gmpolan;471310 wrote: Thank you John, as i might have a ton of extra questions...
I have the exact same set up and i will plumbing a 30 gallon into mine..
Feel free to ask any questions you have. I will try and answer the ones I can.

What size sump did you gow with...and how did you integrate the frag tank in plumbing wise? Also, where did you get frag tank?

Sump: i was looking at a 55 gal 36 x 18 x18 which might be over kill

gmpolan;471323 wrote: What size sump did you gow with...and how did you integrate the frag tank in plumbing wise? Also, where did you get frag tank?

Sump: i was looking at a 55 gal 36 x 18 x18 which might be over kill
Mine is 30x18x14 custom acrylic with eurobracing. Not sure who made it but its really nice quality.The 50 breeder you are thinking of using will work great also. No problem with more volume if you ask me.

The frag tank is plumbed into the system by just running a quiet one 1200 from my pump compartment in the sump and the drain is just spaflex coming back to my skimmer compartment. It was a stock tank at imagine ocean that I picked up when she remodeled.

I will probably start the build thread for all this and transfer of my old tank to the new here come the first of march but Johns build is a good first start. For now im just aquiring parts but any others have any input or opinions? ill start making trips to lowes here shortly :yay:

John, what are the exact dimensions for the stand as next week im planning on picking up some wood. Any recommendations for anything as far as what you could have done differently?

gmpolan;474078 wrote: John, what are the exact dimensions for the stand as next week im planning on picking up some wood. Any recommendations for anything as far as what you could have done differently?
I will have to grab the dimensions tonight.

So does anyone have any suggestions as far as lighting, id essentially like to keep maybe alil sps in the top portion of the tank but im more of a softie kind of guy,lps,zoa...

will two 250 mh do the trick or will they not reach the bottom of the tank?

gmpolan;478517 wrote: John, dont mean to bug but any update on the dimesions...thanks
Sorry , Base of the stand is 49x25x33high. The top of the stand has a 1" Routed lip all the way around. Making it actually 52x26". My canopy is 12" high

Thanks John as i will start my build thread this weekend and start picking up pieces..

i saw this on RC and liked the black one down mid page..
showthread.php

Back