DIY: 150MH BioCube Retro

tjyoung

Market
Reaction score
Hey ARC family, I was sitting around the house on Saturday got bored and decided i wanted more light in my BioCube 14. My entire goal for this project was to maintain the factory look of the BioCube without altering the exterior case at all.Well I knew I had two Metal halide fixtures that were not being used so I took the one apart with the external ballast, since I knew i was working with limited space.

Here is were are started to gut the hood of the Cube.
DSC00497.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00496.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00498.jpg
alt="" />

Here I am trying to mock up how i want everything to sit in the housing.
DSC00506.jpg
alt="" />

After I got the setup I liked it was time to shave down all the plastic post mounts that i dont need anymore.

DSC00508.jpg
alt="" />

Had to make a plastic plate for mounting the halide reflector.

DSC00511.jpg
alt="" />

Halide and fan is mounted time to start wiring the one PC bulb and halide.

DSC00513.jpg
alt="" />

Halide and PC light wired and working

DSC00517.jpg
alt="" />

At this point I decided to add in some Auto Zone DIY Moonlights

DSC00520.jpg
alt="" />

Hood remounted on Cube and ready for final test
DSC00522.jpg
alt="" />

Moonlights working fine

DSC00524.jpg
alt="" />

Halide is powered on and running strong.

DSC00525.jpg
alt="" />

Well after about 6 hours my project is complete I have not experienced any heat issues yet. The tank was sitting at a steady 77 degrees before the halide was turned on and went up to about 79-80 degrees after running for about 3 hours. I figured i can setup a light cycle for the tank around that.
Thanks for your time and I appreciate any input that you all have on how to make this better.

The heat builds up to about 83 without a small fan and is at 77-79 with a fan with the light of it drops to 73

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hey,
If you think you may be board one day this week or next weekend, please PM me. I would pay you to retrofit one of my nano cubes with Cree LEDs, dimmer etc. and the other with a hanging LED, I have 2 tanks one stock hood and one glass top.
Thanks
(unless you have a better option)

Tjyoung;797874 wrote: The heat builds up to about 83 without a small fan and is at 77-79 with a fan with the light of it drops to 73

Are you allowing the temp to drop down to 73 each night?

Tjyoung;797874 wrote: The heat builds up to about 83 without a small fan and is at 77-79 with a fan with the light of it drops to 73

I have an extra 50W Theo Hydro heater if your interested to prevent the temp drop.

Back