DIY 20 Gallon Long Hood

brianjfinn

Market
Reaction score
I built this a few years ago, but thought I'd go ahead and share the pics. The one thing I regret about it is not having a door on the front, but I don't think there's enough room for one. It's easy to move around, though, so maintenance is still easy.

I forget the measurements, but it's made to fit just around the edge of a 20 Gallon Long tank.

This is a picture of all of the pieces cut and painted white to reflect additional light. the four smallest pieces on the right are what's used to keep the hood up on top of the tank.

100_1269.jpg
alt="" />

Here it is fully assembled. You can see the two 70w Metal Halide brackets in the middle with PC reflectors on either side. I also used two computer fans for cooling. I did all of the wiring myself, so it's not the greatest as far as aesthetics, but it works.

100_1332.jpg
alt="" />

Here are some closer pics.

100_1300.jpg
alt="" />

100_1301.jpg
alt="" />

A pic of the fan before I mounted the cover.

100_1298.jpg
alt="" />

Lights off:

100_1335.jpg
alt="" />

Lights on:

100_1337.jpg
alt="" />

And completed, on the tank:

100_1334.jpg
alt="" />

100_1303.jpg
alt="" />

I built this whole thing for just under $100, which is way cheaper than any comparable fixture. That price does not include the two PC fixtures I gutted, but I had those lying around already. The two metal halides are actual gutted 300w (if I remember correctly) halogen fixtures. The bulbs are the same size, and I just wired them to the ballasts.

I knew I should have kept all those cf fixtures for something. Inspiration!
Nice job

Thanks guys! Yeah that Xenia is what almost made me decide to get out of the hobby. It got to the point where I just couldn't control it so I started neglecting the tank, which, ironically, made the stuff grow even more. As I was trying to decide, I just couldn't bring myself to get out all together. Guess I'm a reefer addict. ;)

Love the tank! Gives me an idea, my son has a 10 gallon, with a snow flake eel. I was thinking of building him a 20 long for his room.

waynehallman;538945 wrote: Love the tank! Gives me an idea, my son has a 10 gallon, with a snow flake eel. I was thinking of building him a 20 long for his room.

Thanks! If you decide to and you want the hood, it's up for sale!

blixem;538952 wrote: Really nice job mate!

You just using halogen fixtures with MH Ballasts?

Sure am! I don't remember what size halogens, but they're the exact same size as the 70 watt metal halide bulbs. I actually borrowed the idea from something I saw on nano-reef.com, but couldn't find the link.

LOOKS GOOD!

I love it when people build their own stuff.. my favorite part of the hobby..

Back