DIY 2nd Clac Reactor Chamber *pics*

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Thanks to help from Jin and Mark, I have put together my 2nd chamber for my calc reactor tonight. I took pics, and thought I'd share.

Parts (part costs are estimated):
1 - GE Water filter.............$20
2 - 3/4 to 1/2" Adapters.....$7
1 - ~6" of 3/4" PVC
2 - ~3" of 1" vinyl hose

1-3.jpg
>
th_1-3.jpg
alt="" /></a>
2-2.jpg
>
th_2-2.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I assembled the vinyl onto the ends of the pipe after test fitting it in the container. They should slide onto the seats that would normally seal the filter insert. Then I drilled the lower one full of little holes so the inlet flow could come through at the bottom, and glued it in so it wouldn't pull out when removing the top, preventing media from filling in and making me have to empty it all out to replace the dip tube.
3.jpg
>
th_3.jpg
alt="" /></a>
4.jpg
>
th_4.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Then a piece of bubble diffuser to prevent media from clogging the holes.
5.jpg
>
th_5.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Fill with media, seal and done.:thumbs:
6-2.jpg
>
th_6.jpg
alt="" /></a>
7.jpg
>
th_7.jpg
alt="" /></a>

chris thats awsome!!! what kind of pump are you gonna use? and how what are you using to regulate the dosing? I really wanna do that!

Wow. Nicely done. Much better than mine as I simply siliconed my PVC in there.

jade76;161892 wrote: chris thats awsome!!! what kind of pump are you gonna use? and how what are you using to regulate the dosing? I really wanna do that!

Well, the calc reactor is a coralife, so I may try to run it off of the stock little pump. Or, just run it off of the return pump like Jin did. Also, I have a mag 3 that I might try to use as a feeder pump for the calc reactor and phos reactor both. So short answer is...dunno yet.

The dosing will be regulated with a Milwaukee SMS 122. I will probably try to copy Mark and have it on constantly, but shut off if the PH drops below 8 or so. I'm hoping to not have to fool with Kalkwasser, but I may build a relay box that turns calc/kalk on and off alternately. But, I haven't researched enough to know if that will be necessary.

Back