DIY 6 puck Radion Fixture

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Well, couldn't sell the Gen 2 Radion pucks that I got a while back, so bought 4 more and am going to build a 6 puck fixture. I have dabbled in DIY LEDs in the past, but nothing to this extent. I plan on putting this fixture over my new tank that I am also getting ready to build. The tank will measure 54" long x 24" wide x 25.5" high. I was told that 4 pucks would give me good coverage, but I wanted to make sure so I decided on 6.

It seems that LDD drivers will be the best way to go, using PWM dimming. I am thinking that I will probably either purchase the Bluefish LED Controller, or the Coralux Storm X. I really wanted to control them via my Apex, but it seems I will get better control with a dedicated controller.:sad:

I have been following the thread on Reef Central about others who are doing the same thing, and it has been a great help. The problem is I need further clarification on determining which and how many drivers and power supplies I will need. See the attachment for the specs for each puck.

The total voltage is what is throwing me off, and this is what has plagued me in prior builds. Do I need to total up the voltage for each diode, or just each type? I don't want to have to run more than one or two power supplies if I can avoid it. If totaling for each diode, it looks like I will need a lot of power supplies, which does not seem right.

When it comes to drivers, I was hoping to just get away with 5 LDD drivers (one for each channel). Is this possible running this number of pucks? Or will I need around 15? I am planning on using LDD-1000h for the whites and royal blues and LDD-700h for all others, does this sound effective/efficient?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Back