diy ato question

michaelf1478

Market
Reaction score
I got a float switch off of ebay a 120v input 12v output power adapter and a small pump. Whats the best/easiest way to wire it all up?

It's pretty easy. Cut the ends of an extension cord off (I used about 6 or 8 inches of each end)</em> and then wire the float switch between one side and then wire the other side back together...easy, peasy.

Plug your pump into the receptacle and test it. Obviously, it should come on when the float falls and turn off when the float is raised.

I had an extra JBJ mount to put mine on, but you can use some acrylic to make a mount for yours, if need be.

Here's a pic of the one I made, it worked like a charm.

IMG_20121004_203148.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: Sorry, little quick on the trigger there...here's the other pics.

IMG_20121004_203159.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_20121004_203222.jpg
alt="" />

Did you just happen to have those JBJ mounts or did you purchase them from somewhere?

Here are the pics sorry for the delay.

Edit: The power supply runs the relay. I cut the cord on the pump and the relay turns on the pump on and off. The float switch breaks the power from the power supply.

Edit: I love my new topoff tank by the way. It has a big enough hole for a pump and only 7.00

HiImSean;929801 wrote: Did you just happen to have those JBJ mounts or did you purchase them from somewhere?

I had it already, but it looks like you might be able to buy one
a>

J.B.;929813 wrote: I had it already, but it looks like you might be able to buy one http://www.jbjnanocube.com/contents/en-us/d754_jbj-ato.html">[B]<u>here</u>[/B]</a>[/QUOTE]

meh, not for $13 lol

I picked up some acrylic to make a mount but I've been too lazy to do anything with it. I might have to get off my butt now :roll:

thefishbuddy;929807 wrote: Here are the pics sorry for the delay.

Edit: The power supply runs the relay. I cut the cord on the pump and the relay turns on the pump on and off. The float switch breaks the power from the power supply.

Edit: I love my new topoff tank by the way. It has a big enough hole for a pump and only 7.00

Where can I get a relay switch from?

Edit:
J.B.;929791 wrote: It's pretty easy. Cut the ends of an extension cord off (I used about 6 or 8 inches of each end)</em> and then wire the float switch between one side and then wire the other side back together...easy, peasy.

Plug your pump into the receptacle and test it. Obviously, it should come on when the float falls and turn off when the float is raised.

I had an extra JBJ mount to put mine on, but you can use some acrylic to make a mount for yours, if need be.

Here's a pic of the one I made, it worked like a charm.

IMG_20121004_203148.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: Sorry, little quick on the trigger there...here's the other pics.

IMG_20121004_203159.jpg
alt="" />
I tried this I hooked up a light to the switch just to test it out it wouldnt cut the light on or off. Maybe a bad float switch? I also heard its safer to do it with a relay.
IMG_20121004_203222.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: Dont know what happen there lol. I tried doing it with the power cord splice with a light plugged into it to test it the light never cut off maybe a bad switch?

I would order a solid state one off ebay or a electric place maybe a hvac place. I got mine from my little brother that does security system.

I used the float switch to break the power to the relay. I put one of the power supply wires in the relay and one of the float switch wires in the relay and the other two together. So hook the + up and break the - with the float.

Ok I see what your saying, im gonna try to find a relay tomorrow and hopefully have this project done by monday. Thank you for the help

Thats what this forum is all about helping each other man. If you have any other questions just pm me.

I had it hooked up I put a light on it instead of a pump to test it nothing happened is it possible the switch can be no good?

Is that a good idea to run the 120VAC to the float switch directly? I thought commercial switches used low power to the float switch which then controlled a relay to turn on and off the 120VAC.

I used two gloat switches in series. Both had to close to complete the circuit.

Back