DIY ATO Suggestions

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I've got basically everything I need for my ATO project; Breakout Box, float switches, and a piece of acrylic.

I've never worked with acrylic before so what's the best way to bend it? I figure heating it up enough will make it pliable, will a hair dryer work? I have access to a heat gun that gets pretty hot as well.

My next hurdle is how should I secure it in place? Bend it like the JBJ that is tight over the the acrylic (just going in my sump, not over the trim of an aquarium)? Of find some screws like AutoTopOff.com uses?
m-st15.jpg
alt="" />

I plan on having 6 total floats in the tank/sump.
-ATO low level = Turn on pump
-ATO high level = Turn off pump
-Second High level for stuck float
-ATO Reservoir Low = Don't run the pump
-Tank level too high = in case both overflows clog it will run off the return pump
-Skimmer cup = skimmer shut off

Hair dryer will not work. A good heat gun may work if I gets very hot. I have used a propane torch in the projects I have done.

ARC....so nerdy our President breaks bones while bowling. :)

Leister heat gun, I can borrow you mine, well, belongs to the company. Heats enough for melt plastics, but I actually using another method for placing my sensors let me see if I cm find the pic

I used a candle to make mine , just scrub the carbon off of it once your doen , if you get it too hot it will bubble a little so go slowly , but I'm sure functionality is your primary concern not esthetics.

You don't mention a relay in the setup. The float switch will handle the load but adding a relay well be safer and more reliable long term.

freezerrat;914005 wrote: You don't mention a relay in the setup. The float switch will handle the load but adding a relay well be safer and more reliable long term.

I'm hooking it to my breakout box to my apex to control the switches.

Back