DIY Auto Top-Off, asked WWM, They answered..

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
Idea For DIY Auto Top-Off…To Simple To Work? – 09/29/07
Thank you for answering yet another question, it's very much appreciated!
<<We&#8217;re glad to help>>
I need an auto top-off for my 65g reef tank. I can't afford a Tunze, and the cheaper ones all seem to fail sooner or later.
<<Mmm, pity about the Tunze Osmolator&#8230;this is a primo bit of gear&#8230;well worth saving up for>>
I got an idea from my dog's water bowl.
<<Okay>>
My Beagle's water dish has a 2-liter bottle that suspends upside down over the dish, with a tube that runs from the bottle cap to about 2-inches into the bowl, and automatically refills the bowl as the water level drops.
<<Ah yes&#8230;am familiar with&#8230;>>
My Christmas Tree stand has the same feature, they have worked well. I'd like to take a 5g rigid airtight container (have one already) with a tight fitting cap, drill a hole in the cap, insert and silicone a ¼-inch tube. I'd fill the container with water and place it on it's side over my sump. I'd cut the tube to the length (slightly longer than) I'd need to maintain my desired water level in the sump. Air pressure would keep the water in the container until the water level dropped low enough for the tube to take up air, therefore exchanging water for air inside the container. Once the tube end was covered with water, no more air could enter the tube, therefore stopping the exchange. (I'm sure I did not need to explain how air pressure works to you, but others reading might gleam new information from my explanation).
<<Indeed so&#8230;and thank you for this>>
This idea seems almost too simple, because wouldn't it have already been done if it is possible?
<<Hmm, I seem to recall some past commercial adventures re&#8230;wasn&#8217;t &#8220;The Nurse&#8221; such a device? I&#8217;ve also seen such devices outlined as DIY projects on the NET. But yes, as you say, it does seem &#8220;simple enough&#8221;&#8230; And perhaps that is the problem&#8230;considering how we hobbyists do like our &#8220;complex&#8221; gadgetry [grin]>>
What am I overlooking?
<<Maybe nothing&#8230; Perhaps water turbulence (as opposed to a &#8220;static&#8221; dog dish) causes the reservoir to empty itself&#8230;or maybe the tubing has to be inserted too deeply causing too much of a Salinity change before replenishment&#8230;or maybe the device will work like a charm! But you won&#8217;t know until you give this device a try. It is a &#8220;simple&#8221; and cheap enough experiment, afterall>>
Thank you in advance,
Dakota
<<Happy to share. Eric Russell>>

I think I'm going to try this method just to see what happens. I'm going to go ahead and mod the container with the tube, fill it with water, and perhaps a few drops of food color. I'll place it on it's side next to my kitchen sink (filled half-way with clean water) with the tube of the container submerged in the sink. After a few hours, I'll check back to make sure that A) the water level in the container is still the same, and B) that the color of the water in the sink has not changed significantly. I'll then remove enough water from the sink to cause the container to drain and refill the sink (hopefully to the proper level), I'll do this several times to check for consistency of operation.</em>
To better simulate sump conditions, I'll run a powerhead in the sink as well, and let it stay for 24 hours (or until someone yells What the he[[ is this? Get this s**** out of my way so I can do the dishes!!!). At the end of that period I'll check the color of the remaining water in the container to make sure it wasn't diluted by exchange from sink water (I don't foresee this being an issue).</em>

This could be a great method for those of us with smaller systems that's tired of refilling a gallon a day or less. This would be excellent also for reefers with HOB skimmers, as a consistant water level is needed for proper skimming.</em>

Thanks for reading..

Cool idea Dakota please let us know because I am in the same situation 7 gallons of top of a week huge pain in the ***.

If I understand it right, it wont work. If there is a water "bridge" maintained, the freshwater will equilibriate its salinity. So your freshwater reservoir will become at equilibrium per salinity with the tank. Am I understanding your concept correctly? There is constant contact bewteen the tank water and the freshwater, right?

Yeah, Good Idea, that should work fine. I think it will work fine as long as the hose leading to the tank/bottle is never horizontal or loop downward, the air will have to be able to reach the tank/ bottle with out getting trapped in the line/hose. A 1/4 id line/hose may work better than a <1/8" airline tubing.

DAKOTA give that brain a rest! I think that this is like 4 or 5 inventions in a row. j/k let us know how and if it works.

jmaneyapanda;84154 wrote: If I understand it right, it wont work. If there is a water "bridge" maintained, the freshwater will equilibriate its salinity. So your freshwater reservoir will become at equilibrium per salinity with the tank. Am I understanding your concept correctly? There is constant contact bewteen the tank water and the freshwater, right?

Good point, I guess the question is how long do you think it would take to equilibriate? if you use 18" of hose to connect /bridge the 2 containers.

First Attempt......

<span style="color: red;">FAIL!!!!!!!</span>

<span style="color: black;">My container wasn't rigid enough to stand up to the air pressure.</span>

Solution,

On my way to Target to see if they sell plastic water bottles. I think they will be rigid enough.

I'm going to keep a running tab on what this experiment costs me, as expense, ease of use and time involved were the main reasons I was looking for an alternative to a conventional Auto Top-Off.

(not so rigid) Plastic Jug- Was free with purchase of water $0.00
tubing from old gravel cleaner $0.00
Aquastick epoxy 1/4 stick $2.50
Time.... 1 hour

I'm going with the advice given and going with a smaller 1/4" tubing on my next attempt.

Will keep you updated.....

Rawn,
Yes, I must have eaten some brain food. Or maybe this is like Stephen King's Tommyknockers </em>or something.

I fell asleep last night, you know that twilight before you drift off thinking "mmhhmuuummh auto top off uhmmmhhuummm air pressure uummhhhmuuu air tight container..........

Roland Jacques;84161 wrote: Good point, I guess the question is how long do you think it would take to equilibriate? if you use 18" of hose to connect /bridge the 2 containers.

I have no idea. But I would speculate probably faster than evaporation. With a smalletr diameter tube and longer travel, it would probably slow it down a bit, but physics is physics.

jmaneyapanda;84203 wrote: I have no idea. But I would speculate probably faster than evaporation. With a smalletr diameter tube and longer travel, it would probably slow it down a bit, but physics is physics.

Im thinking the travel time would be infulanced by current at the discharge point. A non turbulant area at dischrage point would = slower equalizing. I think.

Also, isn't FW lighter than SW? so the jug of FW being above the sump, may stay FW longer. It would be interesting to find out anyway.

Roland Jacques;84210 wrote: Im thinking the travel time would be infulanced by current at the discharge point. A non turbulant area at dischrage point would = slower equalizing. I think.

Also, isn't FW lighter than SW? so the jug of FW being above the sump, may stay FW longer. It would be interesting to find out anyway.

I'm not sure. Certainly flow could effect it, but I think the concentration (salinity) would be more pertinent. Regarding the densities, I dont think that would much be a part either. Creating a halocline is not easy- it usually only occurs at certain temps and pressures. But I have no evidence, I am just going of trivial knowledge.

Went to target today, purchased a 3g round heavy plastic water bottle. I'd be surprised if this one crushes in under the pressure. I saw the smaller size was needed being that's all the room I'd have under my sump. I wish I had more room, as 5g would have lasted me almost a week, but 3g will certainly help.

I have to work until 3pm tomorrow, so after that, back to the laboratory, I mean kitchen sink to futher this experiment.

Brainstorm........ Tomorrow I'll color the water in the sink bright yellow, and the water in the bottle a dark blue. Let's hope for green, but only in the right places.....

Thanks for giving me ideas guys.

Dakota9;84325 wrote: Went to target today, purchased a 3g round heavy plastic water bottle. I'd be surprised if this one crushes in under the pressure. I saw the smaller size was needed being that's all the room I'd have under my sump. I wish I had more room, as 5g would have lasted me almost a week, but 3g will certainly help.

I have to work until 3pm tomorrow, so after that, back to the laboratory, I mean kitchen sink to futher this experiment.

Brainstorm........ Tomorrow I'll color the water in the sink bright yellow, and the water in the bottle a dark blue. Let's hope for green, but only in the right places.....

i wouldnt put any food coloring in the sink or the bottle you want to use. it will make the sink last not a long time.
use a bucket or something of that sort. and dont use that bottle in the tnak.

Dakota9;84325 wrote: Went to target today, purchased a 3g round heavy plastic water bottle. I'd be surprised if this one crushes in under the pressure. I saw the smaller size was needed being that's all the room I'd have under my sump. I wish I had more room, as 5g would have lasted me almost a week, but 3g will certainly help.

The color waters is a Good idea. I'd make the sink water salt also.

I look foward to hearing what you find.

Back