DIY Chaeto Reactor

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
I want to make a chaeto reactor for my 120 i'm in the process of putting together. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions on the size of reactor I might need (bonus points if you have one with which you're willing to part). Also, doesn't anyone have any suggestion on the type/brand of lights to use. There's a million varieties on amazon but if you have one you like let me know. Thanks!

Pops

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I've gone with fuge in the past but I really want to keep it cleaner this go. I hope the reactor can help me keep the sump looking better.

Ive ran one for a few months. I used a PM reactor and used the same lights Jin mentioned. I didnt attach the lights to the reactor though as I've read some reactors cracking due to the heat. So I got a 6" PVC pipe, taped the lights to that, and placed the reactor inside it. It worked ok for nutrient transport but the problem was pruning the chaeto was alot of work and coralline started building up on the walls. So once in awhile you'll have to take the reactor completely offline and give it a vinegar bath.

Ive ran one for a few months. I used a PM reactor and used the same lights Jin mentioned. I didnt attach the lights to the reactor though as I've read some reactors cracking due to the heat. So I got a 6" PVC pipe, taped the lights to that, and placed the reactor inside it. It worked ok for nutrient transport but the problem was pruning the chaeto was alot of work and coralline started building up on the walls. So once in awhile you'll have to take the reactor completely offline and give it a vinegar bath.
Thanks for the input. The pvc shell seems like a good idea. It probably also keeps light from bleeding into the sump and causing unwanted algae.

Back