DIY fish food recipe

greenclaws

Reaction score
I want to take a stab at making my own frozen food for my fish. Can anyone offer advice on how to change or improve this recipe? Or post what you do? Here's what I'm thinking: ~60%: Scallop, shrimp, tuna, squid, mysis, krill, oyster, seaweed, bloodworms -mix or chop to desired size, rinse twice ~30%: Formula 1, Formula 2, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, New Life Spectrum -presoak with selcon, then hand mix into the seafood blend (above) ~10% Flying fish roe, cyclopeeze -hand mix into the other 90% Flatten the food into a sheet onto wax paper, then use egg crate to cut it into pre-formed squares. Put this in the freezer, then slide the whole sheet into a freezer bag. So, any advice on how to get the food cut into a small bite sizes pieces, without turning it into a pureed mush? I was thinking I would suspend the seafood 1:3 in water, blend, then strain through a small screen. Also, is it ok to store frozen food on wax paper? Any other ingredients you would add? Thanks!

Edit: Sorry about the jumbled paragraph. All of my formatting got deleted and I can't edit the post

Dang. Sounds like one hell of a recipe. I normally put my dry seaweed into a small blender and pulse until it is the size I'm after. (Never tried the seafood in the blender, but, I'll bet it'll work well if slightly frozen.) Then, I add the rest of the chopped seafood along with Garlic and Selcon with a little fresh SW. It normally ends up being about the consistency of dry pesto. I let it sit out for about 20 minutes, then place in a sandwich ziploc, flatten it out on a plate, then slide it into the freezer. From there, I just break off small enough pieces to feed the fish. Normally about the size of a finger digit. Turn off the powerheads and pumps, and just let it melt on top of the water of the tank. Small pieces will slowly sink, and fish go crazy!!!

Best of luck!!!

Here's what I used for years and very cheap. Go to Publix buy frozen seafood mix in a bag I thinks it's $4.99 a bag. Next buy a jar of minced garlic use the just the juice maybe a teaspoon .next refill jar off with rodi water for next time. Throw all in a blender and start adding a little rodi water a 1/2 cup at a time until the mix becomes a paste while blending. Once done I get about three freezer bags and make a thin layer in bag lay flat and freeze. I get about 3 freezer bags out of a mix cost less then $7 . If you want you could throw some dry flakes or seaweed in with it. Rods food on a budget . Every fish I've had love it.

Do you chop the food with a knife while slightly frozen?

Edit:
MarkL;831662 wrote: Here's what I used for years and very cheap. Go to Publix buy frozen seafood mix in a bag I thinks it's $4.99 a bag. Next buy a jar of minced garlic use the just the juice maybe a teaspoon .next refill jar off with rodi water for next time. Throw all in a blender and start adding a little rodi water a 1/2 cup at a time until the mix becomes a paste while blending. Once done I get about three freezer bags and make a thin layer in bag lay flat and freeze. I get about 3 freezer bags out of a mix cost less then $7 . If you want you could throw some dry flakes or seaweed in with it. Rods food on a budget . Every fish I've had love it.

Adding the water while it blends is a good idea. What would you say your final ratio of food:water is? And does the seafood stay in small intact pieces? I'm afraid of making too many tiny particles that go uneaten

MarkL;831662 wrote: Here's what I used for years and very cheap. Go to Publix buy frozen seafood mix in a bag I thinks it's $4.99 a bag. Next buy a jar of minced garlic use the just the juice maybe a teaspoon .next refill jar off with rodi water for next time. Throw all in a blender and start adding a little rodi water a 1/2 cup at a time until the mix becomes a paste while blending. Once done I get about three freezer bags and make a thin layer in bag lay flat and freeze. I get about 3 freezer bags out of a mix cost less then $7 . If you want you could throw some dry flakes or seaweed in with it. Rods food on a budget . Every fish I've had love it.
What section is this seafood mix in? I glanced around today but didn't see any.

ShanePike;831861 wrote: What section is this seafood mix in? I glanced around today but didn't see any.

I believe Public keeps their frozen seafood away from the other frozen food. It's in a small frozen end cap by the fresh seafood. Comes in bags. If you reaaalllly want your fish to love you though, go to a farmer's market and get the ingredients fresh. Freeze-thaw cycles break down proteins very quickly so its better to start fresh and only freeze once.

It's in the seafood section next to bags of frozen fish. My fish always had great color. I thaw it out first then toss it in a blender then slowly add water until its well blended. It's hard to beat it for the money.

In my opinion I would delete the pellet foods and use them as a compliment to the frozen food blend you intend to make. I would suspect they will become mushy and blend into your mix and likely raise PO4. Not to mention that the fish will probably go after the seafood ingredients and pass by the pellets, just as you would drive past Wendy's for Ruth's Chris if both were offered for free. Make sure the seafood ingredients you source are Sodium Tri-Phosphate free, and be sure and rinse thoroughly. The marine organisms begin to oxidize as soon as they are thawed, so when you freeze them try and freeze packs that will be readily accessible and only need to be removed from the freezer for a few seconds when you feed each night. Adding ascorbic acid to your mix can delay oxidation. I have made roughly 6,000 DIY food packs this year....I'm happy to help if you have any questions.
Larry

Greenclaws, so YOU were one of the ones my Son was pitching the food to...LOL

I told him to watch the table while I did my presentation in the other room on Marine Fish nutrition and DIY foods. I came back 40 minutes later and and he pulls a wad of cash out of his pocket and said "I made a few sales." He then hands me my phone and he says "Oh yeah I swiped some cards on your Squared reader." (I didn't even know he knew how to use it...:eek:)

So then the guys at the next table over said he was stopping people walking by and showing them feeding videos on his iPod. Did I remind you he was 13 years old....HAHA

Anyway, the ascorbic acid is not an exact science, in that I have no published lab tests on exactly how long it helps preserve freshness in OUR foods. I was told by a published Marine Biologist who made foods as well for personal use, that the ascorbic acid roughly cuts the rate that the HUFA (Highly Unsaturated Faty Acids) break down in half, verses the same pack of food without. This helps the food stay fresher in your freezer. I can add that my LFS used to buy my "old stock" when it was over 30 days old in my freezer and I didn't want to ship to a store and have it sit in their freezer. He has been feeding food that is 6-8 months old with no ill effects.

He also explained that one of the biggest "problems" with frozen foods is combating the breakdown of the fatty acids in the foods. By using clean food sources, and avoiding fish like salmon, mackerel, eels, silversides you can start off on the right track. The most important factor is it get your food blend into the freezer and flash freeze it ASAP. (Enter our $3,000 HOBART freezer) Another thing that can help is to not let your pack of food sit out of the freezer for any longer than necessary each night when you feed.

When searching for Ascorbic Acid make sure it is a pure powder and has no rose hips or other common supplements. I use a food grade, buffered version in a powder form, diluted with RO/DI. We mix large batches of food and add the Ascorbic Acid as an antioxidant.

I don't know how big a batch you are making, but I would say if you are making an 8-10 pound batch of total volume raw ingredient weight, that a two teaspoons diluted and distributed throughout the mix would be safe.

There are a lot of people who dose Vit-C as a carbon source, but you want to use the minimal effective amount to avoid kicking off any blooms. In your ten pound batch two teaspoons would be divided amongst 18 packs of food at 9 oz. On a daily basis this is a minimal amount.

One thing that is also interesting about Vit-C is that there is a secondary benefit, which is also up for debate as to effectiveness, but I have found it to work. Over the past year, every fish I have purchased was placed into a QT tank dosed with Brightwells liquid Vit-C. I had read an article that stated that Vit-C can actually stimulate new fish to eat and acclimate better.

Can I prove it, nope. But last year when I flew to ORI and toured 5 other wholesalers in LA, I bought several fish over the next months and suffered not a single loss or refusal to eat. Does the Ascorbic Acid help kick off the amazing feeding response in our foods? I'm not sure.....

By the way if you have a "Chef Smart" store near you they have awesome strainers and bowels, dirt cheap.

I have a pic of my son at the trade show with a customer, but I'm not sure on the rules for posting, since it has my banner in the pic. It is pretty cool though to see the little squirt in action...

I hope I helped answer you question....don't hesitate to ask anything else.

This info is interesting as well:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry</a>

Good Luck,
Larry

CedzAquAddiction;831631 wrote: ...then place in a sandwich ziploc, flatten it out on a plate, then slide it into the freezer. From there, I just break off small enough pieces to feed the fish. Normally about the size of a finger digit....

Best of luck!!!

Just wanted to throw this in... if you sandwich the ziplock between two pieces of eggcrate while it freezes you get little cube shaped pieces that are easier to break loose. just use a couple of rubber bands to hold them in place and put pressure on em.

john_shay;832065 wrote: Just wanted to throw this in... if you sandwich the ziplock between two pieces of eggcrate while it freezes you get little cube shaped pieces that are easier to break loose. just use a couple of rubber bands to hold them in place and put pressure on em.

This is perfect! I couldn't figure out how to cut the square shapes wile it was fresh, without it freezing back into a flat sheet. Will definitely try this. Thanks!

I do the wame thing but use ice cube trays. One cube is just enough for all. Only problem I encountered is that the cube floats. I bought some double eye fishing line leaders and added a weight and problem solved.

Greenclaws,

I have also heard of people taking egg crate and lay it on a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet. If your mixture is puree'd enough you can spread it in the egg crate with a spatula. After you freeze the food you can pop the cubes out of the egg crate. Just another option....
Larry

Went to Publix tonight and found a frozen sea food mix of Calamari, Mussels,Octopus, and Shrimp. :D
This will be my project for tomorrow unless someone thinks this is unsafe.

I got the seafood mix for $4.99, also got a jar of minced garlic. I will probably just try to go straight seafood mix, Garlic Juice, Mysis Shrimp, RODI Water. Im debating on adding some Nori or pellets or flakes.
Any thoughts?

One thing that concerned me is there was a warning on the back of the bag saying,"keep frozen until ready to use, do not refreeze"

Took some pics of the seafood.

20130328_233102.jpg
alt="" />
20130328_233116.jpg
alt="" />
20130328_233208.jpg
alt="" />
20130328_233128.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: Just noticed on the Ingredents it says Sodium Tri-Phosphate. What are the negatives with having Sodium Tri-Phosphate? Im guessing added Phosphates?

Back