DIY Fish Trap

sts04c

Market
Reaction score
I just wanted to put up a quick post about this trap. Very easy to use, setup, and make. Plus it WORKS! Fish will be curious for a few days, just feed only in the trap and you'll catch the fish.

Cost: $4.50 for Cereal container, just a Sterlite made piece of tupperware, bought at Biglots.
String: Free, borrowed from girlfriends sewing kit
Mag Float: Already owned
Knife or Drill: owned, to cut small hole for string/fishing line to pull trap shut

Side note: make sure to secure the string to something outside of the tank when you are not using. I came home to the string wrapped all-around my Birdsnest the other day. I just put the free end under the magfloat on the exterior of the tank.

Pictures:
photo-27.jpg
alt="" />

photo-26.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks, but far from it! Just modified version of someone elses. It worked within 48 hours for me though, so Happy hunting!

(transfer of Brisco15's post)
Sweet dude! What did you use to keep it in place? Did you just leave excess food in there or remove it?
Got a huge yellow damsel that needs to be caught!

Response:
I understand that. I had to catch Chromis, caught 3, only pulled 2 from the sump, not sure where the other fellow is. I also caught the Melanarus Wrasse as well, he came into the trap while I was holding the frozen cube waiting for it to sink in the trap. Silly Fish.

I used a magfloat to hold it up. I left the excess food in their until I caught the desired fish. I had to wait for the Chromis, meaning they weren't as easy as the Melanarus. I caught 1 Chromis pretty quickly and the second and third about thirty minutes after introducing a frozen cube on day two of the trap being in the tank. My girlfriend said, hey I think the fish you want is in the trap, sure enough.

Back