DIY frag plugs and disks

JJONES2984

Reaction score
Anyone know how to make there own disks and plugs? Wanting to make my own so I can make custom sizes and pieces for certain corals

I've seen videos from youtube but they don't turn out the way I'd like. Making my own will make it to where I can have the best plug that fits the coral the best

Ive been messing around with portland cement and sand. My mix ends up crumbling. I Increased the amount of cement in the ratio and that helped. I also had trouble with molds to make a 3" square plate. I made a new mold out of a special kind of rubber this weekend. Just havent had time to mix up more cement.

You could use ceramic tile and a wet saw
I'd rather have one with sand and won't crack. I feel they're easier to work with and to frag when that time comes. I guess with the wet saw, you can have them looking perfect and the shape you want it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also a diamond hole saw (a-la what you use for drilling tanks) to get circles of the exact size...

You could use ceramic tile and a wet saw
My husband does alot of tiling jobs. Could go to any Bog Box home improvement or flooring store and get the mosaic tiles that come on a mesh sheet. So.e of them have various size/shape tiles all on one sheet. Could just pull the pre cut tiles off and not mess with the wet saw?

What about thin or level set?

I was thinking that. Probably want un-modified, though, as the modified has latex and other additives to increase open time and keep it flexible... but then you're back in "crumble land", probably.

Google around for "thick set" or "floor mud" and you will find articles describing what goes on when you change the ratios of portland to sand.

There's also the GARF.org recipes for life rock...

Hydraulic cement is supposed to be good too.
You have to cure plugs made with cement or they'll mess with tank pH. Many sites say it put them in a basket and set it in a toilet tank.

What is the rough demetions of a plug. Sorry in just getting back into salt.

Back