DIY: How to Use a Power Supply for Canopy Fans

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
This is a simple how to that will explain how to use a computer power supply to power canopy fans, eliminating the need for multiple plugs and transformers. Someone who is relatively competent with electronics or just hand tools should be able to replicate this procedure.

This also allows you to use cheap case fans (for computers) to cool your canopy, which will compare or outperform more expensive fans specifically designed for aquarium use. I purchased my 80mm fans from newegg.com (10 for $10), and they each required 12 VDC at .15 amps.

First you want to wire all the fans in parallel, (sorry no pics) but basically all you do is connect all the positive leads together, then connect all the negative leads together. This allows all fans to run at the same speed and voltage.

The next thing you will need is a power supply. THese are readily available from broken computers, or computer repair stores. Mine was $10.<u>

DSC_0991.jpg
alt="" />

</u>The next thing you need to do is look up the pinout for the power supply. Just use a google search and input the power supply type (should be located on the id sticker) and you should be able to find one. Mine was an ATX type.

Then you will snip off all unwanted wires. This will probably be the majority of them. For me, I needed 12VDC, which included the yellow wires for +, and the black wires for -. There were multiples of each (yelows and black) so I kept them all, since they were a small gauge, and I wanted to run severa fans. You can strip them and twist them together to reduce teh amount of electriceity flowing through each wire, preventing it from burning up. The rest were clipped and taped up.

Power supplies usually have a circuit which must be shorted to power it on. This makes sense because your computer turns off without having to unplug it, right? All you have to do is short the wire that turns the supply on to ground, in my case the green wire. Tape it up, solder it, or use a wire nut.

<u>
DSC_0993.jpg
alt="" />

</u>Inside of the supply you can see where all the output wires come from. On my supply, they were conveniently labeled, so verifying the 12vdc source and ground was easily.

<u>
DSC_0992.jpg
alt="" /></u>

Next, just verify the output is good. Since we didnt do any crazy wiring, we shouldnt have to carefully pin out everything to look for shorts.

<u>
DSC_0995.jpg
alt="" /></u>

Done. Now just tie it into your fans.

<u>
DSC_0994.jpg
alt="" /></u>

Love DIY when it includes tearing up old computers! lol

-Really old PSUs have built in power on/off switches...really convenient for things like this. :thumbs:
-PSUs have a lot of open electronics inside and cheap quality ones are capable to catch fire, so mix that with SW creep, and that seems dangerous to me.
-You could achieve the same result with any 12v dc adapter. (as long as the amps available and the fan total amps are similar). 12v adapters are likely more expensive, but take up much less space.

Yeah, the problem with the adapters is the difficulty of finding one around 2 amps (or more). Im sure they exist, but I didnt have any above 850Ma in my pile of extras.

2 amps??? what kind of fans are you running? I'm running 2 x 120mm fans on a $10 12v wall adapter.

From his description I believe he's running 10 80mm fans at .15amps each. I run 6 myself and use a 1amp wall transformer but this woulda been better. This way you can hook up other DIY 12 volt projects like other fans for the sump/fuge or nightlight LEDs.

Nice writeup!

haninja;259158 wrote: 2 amps??? what kind of fans are you running? I'm running 2 x 120mm fans on a $10 12v wall adapter.

I have t-5s that require active cooling, so I am drawing about 1.5 amps of fan power at full blast.

Each fan is .15 amps x 10 fans, since in a parallel circuit current is cumulative.

I verified this as well by burning up a 850 ma transformer trying to run them.

Please note this is not recommended if you are gonna keep the power supply in your tank stand. As mentiond, salt spray would be BAD. If it is in the stand I recommend sheilding it with something and screwing it in a high place where water cant reach it. This is what I do with all electronics in my stand.

Also note that ths is for major amp requirements. The computer power supply produces somewhere around 20A, so obviously if you just have 2 case fans, this is a waste. I guess this is more for big/hot systems.

FutureInterest;259173 wrote: From his description I believe he's running 10 80mm fans at .15amps each. I run 6 myself and use a 1amp wall transformer but this woulda been better. This way you can hook up other DIY 12 volt projects like other fans for the sump/fuge or nightlight LEDs.

Nice writeup!

I didnt think about running LEDs on it, and it would be perfect, especially since the supply also had a 5vdc and (I think) 3 vdc outputs. THese are low enough to run many types of LEDs.

Neat. That's a great little project if you have the need and space. I'd be a little scared to keep a PSU in my stand. Run remotely in a fishrooom is a lot safer, unless you can properly shield it in a canopy or stand.

And might I add- What a cute power supply! My Thermaltake Toughpower 750 does 10 amps @ 115. It's being used in a completely different application, but you know.. :)

EDIT: You beat me to it while I was looking up specs on my PSU.

I've always used the 12v LEDS on my tank. They are used in computer cases to add some bling. They look fantastic at night.

FutureInterest;259189 wrote: I've always used the 12v LEDS on my tank. They are used in computer cases to add some bling. They look fantastic at night.

My computer used to have said bling. However, it proved to be too bright when I would watch a movie with the lights off, so I gutted it. Good idea for tanks, though.

haninja;259158 wrote: 2 amps??? what kind of fans are you running? I'm running 2 x 120mm fans on a $10 12v wall adapter.

Derek_S;259112 wrote: I purchased my 80mm fans from newegg.com (10 for $10), and they each required 12 VDC at .15 amps.

I guess I should work on my reading skills...:confused2:
So, you are going to run all 10 fans? wow, that's a lot of wind power... how are going to place them in the canopy?

Here is a pic. They are already installed and have been running for a while now. They are 80mm so they only measure about 3 inches. THey are all in a row along the back of the canopy pushing air in. THe ports on the top allow the heated air to escape. THe pic only shows 6 installed, but there are 10 now.

SANY7663.jpg
alt="" />

Haha, they are realatively low CFM fans so they arent too noist. The canopy only hovers above the tank 3 inches or so.

Back