DIY LED bulid

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
I have ordered my leds and now I wait for them to get shipped from over seas. My goal is to have a simple, clean looking set up. To be continued!

I built one last fall and about to build another for a larger tank. Let me know if you need any assistance.

what are your make up and do you have a manual dimmable set of lights

rizmaher;739545 wrote: I built one last fall and about to build another for a larger tank. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Thank you for you generosity! I will probably take you up on it! I have very little, well zero, knowledge with electricity.... In other terms, this is a learning experience. I hope to learn a ton and help others who decide to tackle there own build.

Edit:
eagle9252;739679 wrote: what are your make up and do you have a manual dimmable set of lights

It will have two dimmable drivers. 20 blues, 18 whites, and 2 uv. At least that is the plan.
It is the 36 kit from aquastyleonline.com

LegalReefer;739536 wrote: I have ordered my leds and now I wait for them to get shipped from over seas. My goal is to have a simple, clean looking set up. To be continued!

Please post pictures when you build it. I would love to know how to do this. I asked my husband the other day if he could build me some lights (he is an electrical engineer), and he just looked at me and laughed. :unsure:

buffcole;739759 wrote: Please post pictures when you build it. I would love to know how to do this. I asked my husband the other day if he could build me some lights (he is an electrical engineer), and he just looked at me and laughed. :unsure:

Just buy a kit and say to your hubby "look what I found! Can you help me put it together?!" He should be able to put it together in no time!!! I'm going to try and document it as best as possible so others can take on the challenge.

Itemized list so far:
36 LEDs with drivers, optics, shipping, etc. $100
Heat Sinks $45
3 Fans with DC adapters $24
Project Box $8
Shipping $60
Wire $7
On/Off led switches $16
Misc $10
Total around $270

Hopefully there isnt really anything else I need

I have run into a problem.... What kind of connectors do they make that I can mount to the project box so I can disconnect the wires connecting the box to the actual LEDs? I was at radio shack and didnt find/see anything that would work. Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I was going to use an 8-pin connector (sort of like an old printer cable connection). However, I grew impatient and didn't have the small, or precision, tools that were necessary. You can find these connectors at Fry's.

Seems a bit pricey to me given that you can buy a premade unit of 30 x 3w for around $165. Granted it's not dimmable but I don't see that as having that much value.

porpoiseaquatics;740320 wrote: Seems a bit pricey to me given that you can buy a premade unit of 30 x 3w for around $165. Granted it's not dimmable but I don't see that as having that much value.

True, but it isnt built the way I want it, I enjoy building and learning new traits in this hobby, and it is much more personalized to my setup. How many would you have to buy in order to cover a 36"x18"x20" tank? Will it grow sps at the bottom?

LEDs should be here around Wed. A quick question about acrylic/plexiglass... Does it block uv rays? If so, do they make it that does not block these rays?

porpoiseaquatics;740320 wrote: Seems a bit pricey to me given that you can buy a premade unit of 30 x 3w for around $165. Granted it's not dimmable but I don't see that as having that much value.

I'm thinking about building some led's too. But when i priced RapidLED i'm more around the $300-400 mark. I would love information about pre-mades too.

The ones he is ordering are bridgelux lED not Cree, so they produce a little less light; however, I have the 24 led set up on a biocube 29 and have no complaints. I plan on doing another set up, so if anyone is ordering from here please let me know, I need a few things.

I can't remember for sure, but I believe both glass and acrylic block UV light to some extent.

i see dimmable as being a HUGE value.you can get the exact color you want by dimming whites or blues up or down.my preference was 70%intensity for whites and 100%blues.if it were not dimmable,i would be stuck with whatever color 100% would have given me.also,sunrise and sunset is pretty cool,totally unnecessary and only for our enjoyment but isnt that the whole point,our enjoyment?

I did the DIY kit from aquastyles as well. It was sort of a pain because I had never soldered before, but after getting the hang, it all went pretty quickly.

I've got 120 LEDs on my 180 gal. 60 blue / 60 white with the white down to maybe 70% to get a color close to a 20k. So far I have been real happy with the kit and the light it produces. Without having a PAR meter I'm a bit lost on how well it actually does, but I do know I'm getting way better coverage than my 2 250w MH that were over the tank.

where do you find LED system for under $200? everything I find that would be of any worth is well into the $550 range and up.
I am fighting the urge to go LED on my next tank and have been watching with interest these DIY threads. I like the idea of 50 watt LED's but wonder if a grouping of 3 watt chips isn't the better way to go. Concerns being if a 50 watt chip goes out, that is basicly your whole light where as if a 3 watt chip goes you still have plenty of other chips working until you replace the bad chip.
Any of you DIY'ers have any opinions or comments on your experiences

Back