DIY LED programming?

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted a DIY LED program, such as sunrise/sunset, cloudcover, etc?

Some of you may recall that I bought a pair of PacSun LEDs and that the master unit took a swim in the tank. I asked the local distributor, who told me he'd contacted the manufacturer, who told him the unit was entirely shot - he then offered to sell me a new unit at his cost, which was significantly lower than retail, but still out of my price range for the moment.

I was cleaning out the garage today and decided I'd crack the case open. Most of the electronics looked to be shot based on the corrosion, which I expected.

I pulled a rather well diagrammed PCB off an aluminum heatsink - my thinking was that I'd reuse the heatsink on some sort of DIY build. The LEDs were soldered to the PCB, which was held to the heatsink with approximately 100 screws. After pulling it off, I was curious to see if the LEDs were shot or not.

I grabbed a 9v battery, stripped a couple wires down, and secured them to the battery. I then pressed the bare wire to the solder joints, which were already marked for polarity, and nearly blinded myself and burned my finger off in the process. IT WORKED!

Wondering if this was a fluke, I tried three more - all success! I even tried an entire series, to no avail (it's about 8-9 LEDs), which was no surprise given the low voltage of the battery. I did find it would power three LEDs approximatley 1/4 of the way.

Since discovering the LED array still works, I'm considering a DIY style build instead of replacing the unit. It would most likely cost a small fraction of what a new one would.

Now here's the tricky part - I don't have an aquarium controller (looking to buy an Apex but not for a while). I've read of success stories of DIY builds being controlled with an Arduino controller board and open source software, but this is something I'm not very familiar with.

In looking at a parts list, most of my major expenses are out of the way aside from the controller. Only a few things that need to be replaced - wires, power block, heat sink fans. I might even be able to encase it all in the original enclosure.

Any thoughts? This has me very excited about the prospect of getting some lighting sufficient to start housing corals. :yay:

I also need some help identifying replacement parts as I'm not much of an electrical component guru.

I would forget about the programming part and get enough drivers to run the leds at full blast, maybe wire them in several strips to get some sort of control

misu;591958 wrote: I would forget about the programming part and get enough drivers to run the leds at full blast, maybe wire them in several strips to get some sort of control

I have a driver. And if I' have a control - it's programmable :D

That's why I was asking.

is it a variable ballast? you can just hook that port to a controller and use that for your light effects

misu;591969 wrote: is it a variable ballast? you can just hook that port to a controller and use that for your light effects

Good question. There are only a few markings on the outside and none that really say anything more that "Water Proof Electronic LED Driver"

I'll get some pics up of this stuff later.

I wantedto do re same thing with my ecoxotics but have not found a feasible method yet that will be cost effective andnot ruin my leds

I purchased controllable Meanwell power supplies/LED drivers with the intent of doing this for my DIY fixture. There are some posts on nano-reef about doing it, including some sample code. I'm torn though on whether to mess a DIY point solution for sunrise/sunset with an Arduino, or whether to just drop the cash and get an Apex, which will do everything else I want (and more), specifically tailored for the aquarium.

The key will be what the interface is for your driver to control the output. Is it 0-10V control voltage input? variable resistance? Pulse Width Modulation?

Amici;591990 wrote: You need to figure out what the rating on the LED's are so you dont blow them and then wire them up accordingly with a dimmable meanwell eln-60-48d which the directions on how to have a Neptune control it are http://www.reefledlights.com/how-to-diy-led/neptune-apex-setup-and-programing/">here.</a> There are instructions for dusk and dawn and to get a storm/cloud you just program multiple ballasts to dim randomly.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://shine-technology.en.alibaba.com/product/215383046-50154741/24V_150W_Waterproof_led_power_driver.html">HERE</a> is a link to the driver that it was supplied with. I'm still running a second unit using the same driver, but because the master unit is damaged, it doesn't dim - 100% lighting only.

What I know about the LEDs -

They're 1W BridgeLUX white and Royal Blue... That's about it.

I also know that the original unit was dimmable using this driver and it dimmed two seperate channels (one white, one blue). This is one of the reasons I was trying to stay with this particular driver - I know I can dim multiple channels on it. come to think of it, it might have actually been three channels as the center area was set up as a moonlight.

Amici;592051 wrote: Have you broken down the fixtures completely? I would pull the ballast and see how the wiring is set up.

I would but it's encased in epoxy. The only way to get into it is to rip it apart... which kinda defeats the purpose. From the corrosion on the connector and the wiring inside the unit, which has four inlets in the shape of a square on it, there appears to only be one hot wire.

Back