DIY LED's for a Biocube 29. Need guidance!!

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
Okay so everybody knows that the lighting in a biocube 29 isn't the greatest. And the pump could use an upgrade. And the fan is kind of noisy. So.. why are these great tanks? One reason, they look sweet. Well that is an opinion, but I like mine.

So replacing the fan and pump is no big deal. Replacing the lighting, slightly more complicated.

I will start off by saying I don't know the first thing about LEDs. Buying a kit may be the easiest option for someone like myself. But if there's one thing I know about LEDs it is that CREE LEDs are the best. Everyone says so, and everyone agrees. That is why I want to build my own. I want to use CREE's, and I want the most up to date and advanced bulbs.

Now that all that is out of the way.. Where do I start? I know that I want them to be inside the hood, and use the splash guard that is already on it. I would like to simply adhere them to the aluminum housing if possible.

So basically you have a bulb mounted on a heatsink connected to a driver (?), and then a power supply? Like I said, I don't know anything about them and I may be way off base here. I want them to be dimmable. I don't know if I should do the bulbs in a round formation, or in rows. I have seen both, but it seems with the hood resting right above the water level I may not have the option of doing them in a circle. So I don't know how to make sure the colors blend properly either.

And I don't know how much it will cost. Does each bulb have a chip? Can someone explain this to me? Or at least get me pointed in the right direction, please. It seems like a simple project, but then again, I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

Edit: Here it seems that there is one large heatsink instead of mounting a smaller or multiple smaller heatsinks on the existing aluminum housing.

CIMG1096.jpg
alt="" />

each diode is its own "bulb".i would run them in rows for better color blending.
i personally like a 3-1 blue to white ratio and if dimmable,you can tweak the color to your liking.
take a look at this site,it gives tons of good info,heres the diy section but look all through the site for more
a>

rapidled has retrofit kits for the biocube. They also have solder-less kits.

Back