DIY Light hanging arms

insane_reef_keeper

Market
Reaction score
I came across this and thought I would share it with everyone. It's a great idea and I'm going to do it with my 60 build.

a>

WRONG WRONG WRONG
you are working with metalic tubing not stainless steel, have you seen conduit on the outside of buildings that are a few years old and noticed how they look rusty?
Now you want to take this metalic tubing that is highly succeptable to rust and are going to put it above a tank full of salt water without glass tops and all that evaporation and salt air hitting that highly corrosive material.
Do you really want to give serious consideration to having this above your highly prized coral colonies and fish?
NOT ME WON'T HAPPEN !!!!!!

Actually stainless steel can rust to conduit would work fine just have to cover it with a protectant of dome sorts

Yup... get some rustoleum or krylon fusion and you're good to go. Just let it set.

wmboots;635433 wrote: WRONG WRONG WRONG
you are working with metalic tubing not stainless steel, have you seen conduit on the outside of buildings that are a few years old and noticed how they look rusty?
Now you want to take this metalic tubing that is highly succeptable to rust and are going to put it above a tank full of salt water without glass tops and all that evaporation and salt air hitting that highly corrosive material.
Do you really want to give serious consideration to having this above your highly prized coral colonies and fish?
NOT ME WON'T HAPPEN !!!!!!

Just paint it with polyurethane, if it's sealed in a way that it wont be damaged by the saltwater you would be good to go. And it's a good basis to get an idea from. No harm no foul IMO.

from a guy who has worked with this material all his adult life, there is no way I am putting that over a tank full of $$$$. you mention krylon, polyurethane and rustoleum this is all great on the outside but how do you plan on taking care of the inside which is where the real salt condensation will take place and no those little push penny ends will not seal the ends properly. I know this is coming across as hatefull or really negative sounding but I know what happens to emt conduit when exposed to the elements and then through salt into the mix, you are flirting with a disaster that could cost you alot of livestock and money.

Ok I understand what you're saying but if one was to find a noncorrosive pipping it would work just great. Like you could use aluminum pipe. That would work right?

Back