DIY light?

lee_steffen87

Market
Reaction score
This weekend im buying a 150G tall and want to make it about 200g with sump. the dimensions are 48x24x31 which is really tall I want to keep lps and sps and I want one clam to but I need lighting i was going to convert my four bulb t5 light for a fuge light but I want to build a canopy light for the display tank. would a 8 bulb t5 with individual reflectors be enough or should I do metal halide or leds. Im very good with electrical wiring so thats not a problem i just need to know if t5 would be enough. I dont want have to get a chiller for metal halides.

lee.steffen87;763379 wrote: This weekend im buying a 150G tall and want to make it about 200g with sump. the dimensions are 48x24x31 which is really tall I want to keep lps and sps and I want one clam to but I need lighting i was going to convert my four bulb t5 light for a fuge light but I want to build a canopy light for the display tank. would a 8 bulb t5 with individual reflectors be enough or should I do metal halide or leds. Im very good with electrical wiring so thats not a problem i just need to know if t5 would be enough. I dont want have to get a chiller for metal halides.

31" is pretty darn deep to be honest. You'll be ok with sps down about 24", but Id say its questionable after that.

That being said you'll need high quality reflectors and active cooling on the end caps to yield the highest par. T5 is a legit way to keep most everything as long as you get set up good. ALSO, make sure to purchase high PAR output lamps.. a lamp isn't a lamp is a lamp in the universe of T5.

As far as LED goes.. the consensus GENERALLY is that they haven't been around long enough to yield long term projections of how they will interact with corals. IMO the price hasn't come down far enough to make them a viable way to light a larger tank.

You CAN do it.. and MIGHT have success with it... but I'm for T5s right now.

As far as MH goes... you can go with some 400w HQIs and not worry if you will have enough light, but you'll deal with heat more than you will with T5.

B

Edit:
lee.steffen87;763409 wrote: Yea I have noticed but will t5 will be enough for hard coral and clam

Yes it will. People underestimate these lil skinny lamps and often FRY their corals! My sps system has always been under T5s...

pm me your mob number and I'll text you some pics!

:)

Edit:
jead85;763407 wrote: T5 is fine, led is the choice of everyone now

LED will get there one day :) But NOT THIS DAY haha :) I do partly agree though... I think as LED tech evolves it will become more and more viable.

B

I've got t5's on my seamax 250 and I still require a chiller so just be cautious with your build. I have the Ecotech Radion on another tank no chiller needed. So LEDs cost a little more to start but not much heat, lots of colorations options and your not spending $ 200 a year on new bulbs.

rdnelson99, tell me about your DIY T5. I have a 4 bulb over a 7 gallon and looking for more light.

BrianW;764655 wrote: rdnelson99, tell me about your DIY T5. I have a 4 bulb over a 7 gallon and looking for more light.

Not a lot to tell but.... We recieved a shipment of warehouse High Bay lighting fixtures that were T5 54W 6 lamp. One of them was damaged in shipping so the manufacturer told us to field scrap it (throw it in the dumpster) and shipped us a replacement. I field scrapped it to my garage. :yay: Next, I cut it apart and moved the ballast compartment to the top so I could narrow it considerably. Then built a shroud around it and suspended it from the ceiling. The reflects are a little different. There is one reflector for each set of three lamps but the way it is formed makes it basically individual reflectors. Worked like a champ on my previous tank. The OP purchased it from me yesterday so I am looking forward to seeing his growth with it. :yay: By the way, I used Wavepoint lamps and loved them. A lot cheaper than the high dollar lamps and every bit as good. Snow, you should give them a try next time you change lamps. I think you would be surprised.

Edit: By the way, the build thread on the fixture is located here..... http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

Back