DIY Luminarc reflectors complete

jaustin

Market
Reaction score
I decided to upgrade from my batwing style reflectors to the luminarc style reflectors. If you buy them online they are around $115 or so each....ouch! I was reading on reef central that a few guys made them. I found the site and got my supplies.

It turned out great! Total cost is about $40 per reflector. Only need the yellow pair of tin snips, didn't need the left or right angle cutters.

Here are the results.

000_0021.jpg
alt="" />
000_0020.jpg
alt="" />
000_0023.jpg
alt="" />
000_0022.jpg
alt="" />

Here is the tank with just the 15K 175w Iwasaki's on and no actinic.

000_0024.jpg
alt="" />

Hey alright...those don't look too shabby. Good job. It'll be sweet to see the PAR numbers.

Someone get over there and test the PAR before I buy my lights!

Thanks man, they turned out a little better than i expected. Only took me 2hrs to complete the second one and it's a little nicer than the first. I haven't worked with metal in a long long time.

Oh and these are 14.75" sq, and about 7" tall. you can make any size you want by adjusting the scale in % of the drawing blueprints.

It would be nice to check par....doubt that will ever happen since i'm so far away from atlanta.

who ever sends me the par meter i'll make two of these and mail them to you. Just pay for supplies (mogule and reflective materal) and shipping :) I'll take care of rivits and tools.

I have a friend that has made many of these and they work extremely well. He even modded his (i believe) like the LA III so they are actively air cooled and transfer very litle heat to the tank. Kinda like a dryer vent, but it sucks the hot air out through the top.

i have all 3 color temps (10k, 14k, and 20k) of the cheap Plusrite bulbs too, i would love to test those out as well.

Nice dude....

thanks!

They are on now with the actinics and let me tell ya how much brighter the tank is! I cut my photo period down by a few hours to let the corals adjust to the light.

sure do:

Here is the link to the DIY thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12983988">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12983988</a>

There are a couple links on that thread (only 4 pages) that will lead you to the step by step instructions. Home Depot has the materal. You only need the 10"X24" solar tubes from HD....they are $25 each and will give you a small amound of left over.

Feel free to PM me on any other q's

Jason

Oh and you don't need any cad or other programs. Just open up the drawing in paint and start with 200% and print it out in landscape format to get the right size plans.

If you can't figure it out let me know. I can send you a printed out set of plans on regular paper...you'll just have to cut and tape and then lay them out on the alunium. You only need to cut out three pieces, the center octagon, the side "t", and the corner piece. From those three you can trace out all the pieces...no need too cut everything out as you will be cutting out 4 of the same things.

Back