DIY Media Reactor

superclown

Market
Reaction score
I was trying to come up with a good way to come up with a carbon reactor tonight and out of the blue I got this idea. Im sure it's been done before and its nothing special but for free I think its awesome

I started working on this and then halfway through decided to take picks

2010-12-09_00-52-26_233.jpg
alt="" />

Im sure not everyone has these exact items laying around but im sure many different things can be used

but here I used the carbon container as the reactor itself it was about half empty

but basically I drilled a hole in the center of the cap for the tubing

then several smaller holes around the cap

2010-12-09_01-03-06_135.jpg
alt="" />

Then I cut out a circle piece of screen that overlapped the cap just a lil bit, cut out a center hole and inserted along with left over connector piece from a maxi jet

2010-12-09_01-07-47_485.jpg
alt="" />

Once this was done and made sure everything fit snug. I cut me another piece of tubing almost the length of the bottle and stuck the plastic maxijet screen on the other end of the tubing inside the bottle.

Here is a pic of it running. I let it run in the sink bout 15 minutes to clean out the carbon dust.

I have the pump on the lowest setting but the pump im using is eqiv to probably a maxi jet 400

2010-12-09_01-27-38_447.jpg
alt="" />

The water flows in to the cap exits out the bottom of the bottle then water exits out holes in the cap. The screen pieces keeps the carbon from exiting out the holes in the top another thing I could have used instead of screen would have been a filter sock but I didn't have one I really wanted to dedicate to the cause.

like I said its not pretty but it works and anything free in this hobby helps out a lot

Nice idea! Ya just want to be sure the carbon doesn't tumble...else it will break up into fines and get everywhere....

Back