DIY pendant help

stonyreef

Reaction score
allright, ive finally got my bulb, lamp, and ballast. now i need figure out how in the heck im going to hang my pendant light. It is a pfo 400 watt with two screw/hooks to use to suspend it. I do not know if i can simply drill a hook into my ceiling to support it or if i should build a shelf or something to put around my tank and then suspend it from the top of the shelf.

any suggestions or thoughts would help!

thanks

You will need to locate a stud if you are going to attach it to the ceiling.

Skriz;269725 wrote: You will need to locate a stud if you are going to attach it to the ceiling.

That's about Raj extent of knowledge on "studs". :yes:

I have a 400W pendant hung about my frag tank. I used cable mounts, used for tv cable to sucure it to the ceiling. It hold the power cord tight and keeps it from slipping. It's not a clean install but works fine. You could use a L bracket or like you mentioned make a nice shelf that you can hang it from(even though you'll probably be using L brackets already). Good luck and post up a pic once you get it completed.

Skriz;269725 wrote: You will need to locate a stud if you are going to attach it to the ceiling.

Not necessarily. Toggle bolts that come with some cable systems hold an incredible amount of weight. A pendant light weighs in at 5-10 lbs at the most. If you can find a stud in the center of your tank(good luck) then a simple eye bolt would work well then you can hang the fixture with some black jack chain or buy some cable from Home Depot. I would suggest hanging it from the ceiling even though it may be a bit harder depending on the situation. L bracket's and shelves are rather unsitely IMO.

BTW how tall are your ceilings? You can buy a nice cable system from Aquabuys locally for only $22.99. Here is a link...

merchant.mvc

i went to home depot and got a pack of ceiling anchors that hold up to 60 pounds and some screw hooks. later tonight im going to rig it all up. thanks for the tips. ill put some pics up when i finish

Back